Do you have a suggestion for a message about clay for a t-shirt or a bumper sticker? | April 8, 2012

Guest JBaymore

Former Potters Council Board member and former President, Chris Campbell recently started a bit of a personal campaign to have studio potters piggyback onto the existing "BUY LOCAL" movement. It is a great idea she has had. She is talking (elsewhere here in the Forum http://ceramicartsda...-local-pottery/ and on Facebook) about the possibility of producting T-shirts and bumper stickers.

So what other ideas do you all have that might relate to the making of ceramics related T-shirts and bumper stickers? What is the language you'd use that will get the idea across? What kind of image? Are they serious? Are they frivolous?

Do you have a suggestion for a message about clay for a t-shirt or a bumper sticker?

Former Potters Council Board member and former President, Chris Campbell recently started a bit of a personal campaign to have studio potters piggyback onto the existing "BUY LOCAL" movement. It is a great idea she has had. She is talking (elsewhere here in the Forum http://ceramicartsda...-local-pottery/ and on Facebook) about the possibility of producting T-shirts and bumper stickers.

So what other ideas do you all have that might relate to the making of ceramics related T-shirts and bumper stickers? What is the language you'd use that will get the idea across? What kind of image? Are they serious? Are they frivolous?

Do you have a suggestion for a message about clay for a t-shirt or a bumper sticker?

Dear Nelly,

I guess I will go first.

The language I would like associated with clay is the permanence of the product. Having said that, I do know we all have shard piles.

I would like it to be serious given that our art form is important to us and that plastic is relatively new--ceramics could be considered a good eco-friendly alternative.

It is also important to use language about sustainability about this art form.

Here in Canada, compared to the U.S., there are relatively few ceramic programs. In the town where I live, there are maybe two potters who live outside in the country. I am rare to live in an urban setting with a studio.

Thus, ideas of ceramic education continuation are important to me.

So let me see if I can make some sort of language list:

Support local artists

Eco-friendly and permanent

Sustainability of an art form that is environmentally friendly

Cultural diversity

Global connections

Ensuring the handing down of tradition and welcome to innovation

Back to basics--no middle person in business transaction

Connection--intimate relationship between object, artist and self

As for the logo--I am totally easy.

I was just visiting Robin Hopper over the holidays at his studio and given that he could not provide me with a signed book of his work, he gave me some labels to put in those I would later purchase.

These labels were inscribed with the old "Soldner" cliche of "Throw Naked." Hopper was quick to say, it is not about being physically without clothes but to be free in one's mind at the wheel. I like this idea of "freedom." Maybe that should be on the list as well.

Just some thoughts...???

Nelly

Is it possible to have something with a bit of a more serious tone? I can't say I like the concept of "Play Dirty", or the Mud Pie Dilemma.[just my opinion]. Can we go with something that relates to the longevity of ceramics- the fact that it has been around for thousands of years.

I would rather go with a higher tone, rather than the "hobby" aspect.I take my work seriously, and I value the high aspirations of others.I keep thinking of that $27 million bowl. Could we get a picture of that for our logo?

TJR.

I had a "Support your local potter" button back in the 60s. I still have it. I don't think it is a new movement. I have seen many bumper stickers and my favorites ate "Potters of the World IGNITE"

and "My other car is a Kiln"

Marcia

I would love to have a good bumper sticker, I wish I could find the "Support your local Potter" one.

I think it is important to have something that the non-potting public will understand, no potter lingo or the message to the general public is lost. I agree with nothing cute or funny, I am serious about my work and want other to respect what I do, It's not my 'hobby'.

I saw a craft fair sign that said,"Buy Local, Buy Art"

I take my work seriously and put a lot into it, but it's also a lot of fun. I'd suggest thinking about it from the customer's perspective, if you're trying to convince them to change behavior or to develop a relationship with local artists. Is the idea to get them to start buying pottery, or to get them to think about doing it in a context that they haven't thought about before?

This is interesting. The first thought, of course, is that the bumper sticker or t-shirt would be something affixed to the vehicle, or worn by, the POTTER. But, we've done that to death, haven't we? Thinking outside the pot, a little, I wonder if a bumper sticker for our ardent local SUPPORTERS and PATRONS would have more impact. Cliche' as it may seem, a sticker that says, "I (heart) my local potter" might help. I'd give them to my shops to enclose with my pieces when they sold them and I could give them to those who bought my work at shows.

I'm not sure about t-shirts. Fact is, I've become desensitized to what's on them. Short of a giant f-bomb, I don't think there's anything on a shirt would catch my eye these days.

Still, I'll do my part for the discussion and suggest this design for an attention-getting t-shirt or sticker:

http://dl.dropbox.co...ter%20Promo.jpg

Wishing you all good firings,

Daryl in Idaho

Earth, Hand and Fire

Go Local Pottery!

The Bumper stickers already on the van are -

support your local potter

Fire pots not guns

Potters of the world ignite

All Pau

New ones would be

1st choice are John B's

GOT POTS

or Got Pottery

2nd-and most likely too controversial

Kiln Gods are my religion

Mark

I am going to get the bumper sticker going... I love the idea of giving one free to every buyer.

The thing is though ... people will only react positively to any campaign if there is some benefit in it for THEM.

Cynical it may sound but ... Nobody cares unless it makes them look/feel good.

Same with the t-shirt ... I found someone who makes them out of re-cycled plastic bottles and they feel as smooth as silk ... so that is a plus good factor for the buyer.

For right now though ... keep the ideas coming and let people know you are a LOCAL potter for them!!

https://www.facebook.com/BuyLocalPottery?skip_nax_wizard=true&__adt=6

Guest JBaymore

Cynical it may sound but ... Nobody cares unless it makes them look/feel good.

Yup... the WIIFM factor.

"What's in it for me?"

best,

.................john

Hold the Earth in your hands

Support your local clay artist

Useable...moldable

Clay makes life better

A couple of noob choices, FWIW.

I love the "Buy Local Pottery" and "Got Pots?" motifs.....but as a just as folks in Cali will relate to what folks do to the "In and Out burger" stickers...the "pottery" message would last about a second here in Colorado before it was cut up to relay a message about "Pot". (much bigger than pottery here...:P without a doubt)

Medically speaking, of course

good luck with the push, chris

teardrop

Maybe it could say something about "neighbors".

Pottery made by neighbors.

Potters make good neighbors.

Neighbors don't buy pottery at Wal-Mart.

Buy pottery, support a neighbor.

Pottery direct from the heartland (for those of us who live in the midwest)

Pottery...Thousands of years in the making. (referring to the history of the craft)

Making great memories, one pot at a time.

Hmmm. There are so many possibilities but it's hard to pick one that just seems right.

Good luck.

By the way, where can you get bumper stickers printed reasonably?

Sylvia

I had a "Support your local potter" button back in the 60s. I still have it. I don't think it is a new movement. I have seen many bumper stickers and my favorites ate "Potters of the World IGNITE"

and "My other car is a Kiln"

Marcia

I like a stop sign logo with "stop" spelled backwards.

Jim

Archived