Did anyone see this news article?

I have to raise my prices! wink.gif

best,

..................john

John;

I am speechless! Well not really,because I am writing you. The adage "pearls before swine comes to mind". I am speaking about myself here. I would not have appreciated the value of that bowl, and would not have paid that much for it.It is a beautiful piece, from what I saw of it, but $27 million? What do you think?

TJR.

I think I have it figured out now ... when you are near the end of your ceramics career, you just need to re-acquire all of the work you have sold throughout your life, so you can destroy all but 100 of the best pieces. Then wait about 1000 years. And poof, your bowl is worth $27 million! Piece of cake.

Mea

John;

I am speechless! Well not really,because I am writing you. The adage "pearls before swine comes to mind". I am speaking about myself here. I would not have appreciated the value of that bowl, and would not have paid that much for it.It is a beautiful piece, from what I saw of it, but $27 million? What do you think?

TJR.

It has very little to do with esthetics and all to do with collecting. If someone in North Carolina produced the exact same bowl it would be worth 30 or whatever bucks. An example of this is the story of a Pollack painting found in a dumpster a decade or so ago. Some woman truck driver took it home and hung in on a wall but everybody hated it so much she decided to toss it, but then somebody discovered that it was a missing Pollack worth 3 million. (I read about this 10 years ago so some of the details are probably wrong.) Then other experts decided it wasn't a Pollack. The point being that the same painting was worth $10 or $3,000,000 depending on who painted it, obviously not its artistic merit. I'm an admirer of da Vinci but I wouldn't pay $50 for the Mona Lisa if I couldn't sell it.

Jim

It has very little to do with esthetics and all to do with collecting. If someone in North Carolina produced the exact same bowl it would be worth 30 or whatever bucks. An example of this is the story of a Pollack painting found in a dumpster a decade or so ago. Some woman truck driver took it home and hung in on a wall but everybody hated it so much she decided to toss it, but then somebody discovered that it was a missing Pollack worth 3 million. (I read about this 10 years ago so some of the details are probably wrong.) Then other experts decided it wasn't a Pollack. The point being that the same painting was worth $10 or $3,000,000 depending on who painted it, obviously not its artistic merit. I'm an admirer of da Vinci but I wouldn't pay $50 for the Mona Lisa if I couldn't sell it.

Jim

There's a great documentary about the Pollack painting. Info HERE.

If I had a few billion I would have paid 28 million no worries for it. After all its only 6th piece in private hands-make a great cat food bowl.Low and wide foot-easy to clean whitish glaze.

Mark

Mark, this post made me laugh hard at myself! I'm a bit embarrased to admit I spent $58 for the little bowl that my cat eats from. It is so perfect, low and wide, with a tall footring so I can put it into a shallow bowl of water during the springtime ant season. Smooth glossy glaze is easy to wash. I didn't dare tell the potter I was buying it for my cat. But I guess it goes to show that dollar values are an individual matter.

Mea

Mea

We must both be cat people as I had another artists earthenware bowl with painted peppers on it for a cat bowl until my cats broke it. Now its a real thick salt kiln bowl.

Mark

Mark;

I had a cat. Turns out that I am allergic to cats and dogs. We gave the cat to my mother-in-law. Now the cat ignores me. We got a very fierce poodle-full size,but hypo-allergenic if that is the word. She has a matching food dish/water dish combo that I made in earthenware. I did not pay $27 million for them as I made them myself. I wonder if they could be worth that price each?

TJR.

It's just way too bad that the anonymous potter who made the bowl will not get any of the money paid for it. And, wouldn't it be interesting to know what the seller paid for the bowl before reaping his/her windfall at auction?

Well said.

TJR.

It's just way too bad that the anonymous potter who made the bowl will not get any of the money paid for it. And, wouldn't it be interesting to know what the seller paid for the bowl before reaping his/her windfall at auction?

I'd love to know the original price from back when it was made!

They said it went for 3 times what they expected, so he's getting at least $18 million more than he planned. I betting he didn't lose money on the deal...

I'd love to know the original price from back when it was made!

They said it went for 3 times what they expected, so he's getting at least $18 million more than he planned. I betting he didn't lose money on the deal...

You can still find these vessels in Chinese ceramics stores often in big city Chinatowns; they are Celadon lotus bowls. They cost a couple of bucks they also come in white. I think I have also seen them in patterns in cobalt blue. The little indents holds the chop sticks.

Archived