Ceramic Puzzle Boxes

I am intriqued (obsessed actually) with the band saw puzzle boxes that are made from burl wood. They are beautiful, but I can't help but wonder if I could reproduce something like them out of clay. Has anyone ever tried this?

I am thinking that I could use a block of clay that is not quite leather hard on the outside and cut is just as you would with wood. Once the center is exposed, letting that dry to almost leather hard and repeating the process. I think you would have to put all the pieces back together when not working with them as they dry to stop any warping.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making boxes like this for some time, they are fun and satisfying. Its kinda complicated, the way I make them, but I would be happy to explain how I do it if you'd like. I call them "Odd Little Boxes with Practically useless Drawers" It always gets a laugh, and then I explain that they are not completely useless, just not very practical. In actuality, the drawers are completely useable, though some are big and some are small. People who buy them come back and tell me they found the perfect thing for each drawer. I have made them with only one drawer, but usually they have four or five or more. The biggest one had 27 drawers, some drawers inside other drawers. That one was fun. Let me know if you'd like detailed instructions.

Archived