Firing unusual clay mixtures

Earlier this week in my intermediate ceramics class at our local community college we were given several different types of materials to wedge into our clay and then asked build something we would bisque fire when dry. The point I believe was to see what textures would evolve. Well, I chose a small package of nylon buttons (and the instructor chose small plastic toy soldiers.) As a retired fire marshal I became concerned about the off-gassing of the buttons/soldiers when fired in the kiln. Would anyone know the consequences of the hydrogen cyanide off-gassed during the firing (which would be done in a well-ventilated area with no students present?) How would it affect the fire brick and electrical elements in an electric kiln. Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Steve F.

Small amounts I would say- do not sweat the small stuff.The kiln bricks  and elements will be fine. If its large amounts thats different deal

.I on principle do not like firing plastics and never do-there is better stuff to burn out than plastics.

Poor lesson plan I feel-but not much harm if its only a small amount-still a bad idea.

Mark

I have a couple of concerns about putting large pieces of plastic in the clay. First, it could cause cracking and/or explosions that wouldn't normally happen, and the plastic may melt and run all over the kiln before burning off. And we don't really know just how well it will burn off, or if it will leave residue. Could be bad if it gets on bricks or elements. I would also be concerned about the venting system being able to handle the fumes from large amounts of plastic being burned out. A downdraft vent probably can't handle it, and and overhead hood may not, either, depending on its suction. You could be in for a very stinky studio with a lot of fumes. Not a good idea in my opinion. This test would be better if you used organic material that you know will burn out successfully.

Archived