I trimmed some small mugs using porcelain clay    ( always a bit of a struggle for me  !!!) But today noticed some became almost” impossible “to trim Am trimming without a foot ..... But found that the bottom of the mug started a “ ripple effect( if this the right term ) which continued less than half way down  “ Am wondering is this due to  1) not being  well centered for trimming ? 2 )Not following the inside shape Or due to some other reason ??

Kind regards Nicky

+1 on a pic!

...tools try to follow the contour of the clay; to establish roundness, particularly for the outside and bottom of the foot, I've found a needle tool works well.  Although a bladed tool will make round, it is more difficult (for me) to hold the tool rigidly enough, and it takes longer.

ditto on sharp! I dress my tools with a file - haven't yet invested in tools that a file won't touch (hardened).

If your porcelain has dried a little unevenly, the difference in 'drag' on your tool can get a 'wave' started that is hard to repair. Stop the wheel immediately and determine where your high/low spot is. You may be able to correct the area by hand scraping before (carefully) completing your wheel trimming. Re-moisten the rest of the untrimmed bases that remain on your board, cover lightly with plastic until moisture is distributed evenly. 

On 8/5/2019 at 4:10 AM, Rae Reich said:

If your porcelain has dried a little unevenly, the difference in 'drag' on your tool can get a 'wave' started that is hard to repair. Stop the wheel immediately and determine where your high/low spot is. You may be able to correct the area by hand scraping before (carefully) completing your wheel trimming. Re-moisten the rest of the untrimmed bases that remain on your board, cover lightly with plastic until moisture is distributed evenly. 

I've found a sureform corrects stuff like that really quick, but can remove a lot of material if you're not careful

Archived