Sign in to follow this  
GPDCeramics

Amaco Potters Choice Layering dipping glazes Crawling

I am having trouble with Amaco's Potters Choice glazes crawling when layered.  I have used them for years and have never had a problem until about a year ago.

The issue is specifically when layering the potters choice glazes in dipping form.  The Brushing bottles are fine, I have not problem with them.

At first I thought it was my students application or the thickness of the glaze. But after endless test I can not figure out what is going on. I called Amaco and they said they were aware of the problem and were working on it.  But the only suggestions they had were to stop  layering them, only buy brushing bottles and using distilled water.    I need these glazes to work in dipping form for my students. 

I have used distilled water, it does not make a difference. I have thinned down the glaze, doesn't help.  I have tried applying the glaze with time drying in between each layer and also dipping them one right after the other, doesn't help. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you.

Hi GDPCeramics and welcome to the forum.

I would recommend getting some MAGMA and make it into a jell then add a small amount of that to your glazes. (instructions in the link) I would strongly suggest trying just a small amount of glaze first before adding it to the entire bucket(s). It will make the glaze take longer to dry but it's really great stuff that allows multiple glaze layers to be built up without crawling. Do add the copper carbonate as directed or it will spoil in glazes without copper. (It's also a really good at suspending any glazes)

There is also a Facebook group specific to Amaco Cone 5/6 glazes--lots of posts there about similar subjects regarding  use of Amaco glazes. You can of course also contact Amaco Brent dirtectly.