Lichen, snake or reticulating glazes

Dear All,

I have purchased commercial reticulating glazes in the past and have had great results with the product. My issue is that I notice over time, the glaze can become hardened in the bottom of the container where it is stored (i.e., an old plastic ice-cream container with a well sealing lid). I usually have to really dig at it to get it up to consistency again.

Has anyone else had this problem or knows if it is the chemical composition that causes this to occur??

I have a new batch I am going to make and want, if possible, to prevent this problem reoccurring.

Nellie

If it is like all the solids in the glaze sank to the bottom and set up like cement.....

You can mix a pinch of epsom salts in a bit of HOT water to dissolve. Pour into the bucket and start to work the glaze. Once it is smooth again, it should not set up like that again. It doesn't take much epsom salts, either.

If it is like all the solids in the glaze sank to the bottom and set up like cement.....

You can mix a pinch of epsom salts in a bit of HOT water to dissolve. Pour into the bucket and start to work the glaze. Once it is smooth again, it should not set up like that again. It doesn't take much epsom salts, either.

Dear Janie,

Yes, that is exactly it. It is as though it becomes rock solid and I spend forever working it to a place where I can use it again.

I will try the epsom salts. You got love that stuff. Seems to be good or everything. Aches, pains, making your grass green and glaze suspension. It is kind of like duct tape. It works for everything.

Thank you for this suggestion.

Nellie

Nellie;

I like Bentonite for keeping glaze in suspension. An ice cream pail is probably 1000 grams of glaze. You would add 2% bentonite to this. Mix it up with a small amount of hot water first. I don't know what Magma is either.I know Epsom Salts is Magnesium Carbonite.

TJR.

Nellie;

I like Bentonite for keeping glaze in suspension. An ice cream pail is probably 1000 grams of glaze. You would add 2% bentonite to this. Mix it up with a small amount of hot water first. I don't know what Magma is either.I know Epsom Salts is Magnesium Carbonite.

TJR.

TRJ,

Thank you for your reply. I must get some Bentonite. This is a tricky chemical as I recall. I think if you don't mix it with the dry ingredients before you add water it can clump. I must order a little bit of this and the epson salts to have on hand for my glazes.

Thanks again,

Nellie

There was an article recently in CM or one of the spins offs (pottery making?) which covered all additives for settling glazes-this piece covered them all.

I use bentonite-epson salts and for the really heavy ones a product called MAGMA- This product works when nothing else comes close. Its a miracle powder when you have a super settling glazeI even have used cmc gum for some salt kiln coatings that have kyanite in them.

find it here

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/magma.

Mark

Nellie;

TJR.

I've also had good results with both Bentonite and Epsom Salts, as well.

Epsom Salts is actually Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4·7H2O -heptahydrate epsomite) not Magnesium Carbonate (MgCO3) which is nearly insoluble in water.wink.gif

• 1 year later...

A note: If you use too much epson salt or Magnesium (what ES is) then it will go in the opposite direction. You need to titrate (add a little at a time, stir thoroughly and if there is no change in the glaze (it will thicken very slightly) then add a bit more. This is why the epson salt needs to be completely dissolved in the hot water before adding. If it were not, it would dissolve in the glaze over time and possibly tip you over the edge. If you know for sure how much you need then you can add it dry when you are mixing up the glaze. You must have enough clay in your glaze for the glaze to floculate (this is what you are doing by adding the Epson Salts). People add bentonite when they do not have enough clay in the glaze already. It is also clay that has unique properties so aids in keeping the other materials suspended.

Archived