25 replies to this topic

#21 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,122 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

Apple simply makes incredible products that just works and therefore has very loyal enthusiastic consumers. (Not saying that we aren't spoiled though. Posted Image ). Tools are tools and the topic is about TECHNOLOGY tools, so of course consumerism goes with it. Not sure why this would surprise anyone given the topic. Please take that into consideration as you read this if it gives you the "creeps". Posted Image Last soap box statement... artistry and design goes into many technology products and Apple is at the forefront. It's not pottery or typically considered art, but with the right perspective you can realize the artistry that goes into the design of their products. Nuf said...Posted Image

I agree here. Apple products have traditionally worked and do make our lives easier for those who would cross the line of personal computer values to use them. I have always used Microsoft products because I have been able to afford them, but that does not mean that I like them. A comparison of the two main strains of computing technology reveals the difference of a sprinter and a weight lifter. MS pushes with brute force (lots of glut in the operating system) Apple pushes with graceful clean directives. Pick or choose, one is perceived by many as being more artistic, I stand with that opinion.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#22 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

I use slide room for show entries. I use my MacBook for storing my glaze recipes, handouts for workshops, jogs for images of my work.
I take my iPad on trips, workshops, plane flights.
In the studio, I have a dock for my iPod for music. But I still use a calculator for mixing glazes. iPad for conversions.
I do have ancient binders for notes and recipes.
Marcia

#23 Christine

Christine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'm afraid I'm ancient binder woman through and through ..... my CD player's as techie as I get in the studio - although I do store my life on an elderly Toshiba laptop

#24 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Day started out by bending over wheel and into the throwing water went the smart phone-

-while power mixing splashed glaze all over key board on laptop-will send it off for repair next week.

Was web surfing later in day on my Ipad and and tripped and dropped Ipad into slurry bucket.

Busted out the Ipod and was rocking out when the bailey power slab roller sucked up my ear bud cord and ripped my unit into the rollers.

Mark

Yeah, I remember I once got my light switch dirty. :lol:

#25 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I got a little item called a Square Card Reader. It plugs into an Ipad or other portable pad. It allows me to accept credit cards with the utmost simplicity.
Sales doubled at my open studio because of this.

#26 icyone

icyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

Google Voice for free phone and text. Right now running through computer however have VoIP Telephone Adapter on it's way.

One phone line for fax and credit card machine that I'm still working out how to find a free or better alternative without buying a new ethernet card machine.

Satellite high speed internet with router and Powerline adapters, you can route your Internet connection around studio though the regular power lines with them and faster connections than my wireless is needed for the media.

3 roku's, wd-tv live, older xbox360 for media players, audio books

Most popular media is audio books. Our local library has audio books one can download right from computer and we also use hulu, netflix, and Amazon prime for movies and shows cause glazing (a lot) and packing is boring.

5 computer 2 on constantly. one runs the media through a media program called plex and and another called playon that play through the rokus

Directv - only active for football season afterwards we cancel and get a new deal when it's time (go Broncos and Peyton)

Kindle, always with me.

All electronics handle our dusty studio fine (I know dust is terrible and I try to keep it controlled with air cleaners and cleanup... however it's still dusty)

The only items that die seem to be the directv boxes however I'm a computer geek so I've always got the computers open and I blow them out often enough

Because of this we slowly are down to one box and have it slaved to all the tv's.

When it's no football time (no directv) we also have slingbox that plays tv through a home tv

Slingbox is a TV streaming device that enables users to remotely view their home's cable, satellite, or personal video recorder via internet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users