Technology in your studio

As I sit checking prices of things I need to buy, I am curious about what technology others use and what you use it for.

My iPad has become my studio tech tool for:

Music; just bought a little external speaker for when I want to rock out!

Just as obvious, for Internet access

Converting ounces to grams, etc

A FileMaker system I am using and still expanding for Expenses, Glaze Recipes, Firing Logs, Materials, Need it Lists. They all relate to another in many ways.

Taking lots of reference photos (flowers, trees) and downloading others

Photographing my works in progress. Just the other day I shot the pieces I am now glazing and annotated them re what glazes I used, etc.

I just love my iPad.

What are you doing with technology?

What comes into the studio gets clay on it

That said I started with a tape deck in studio back in 73-killed it- had two more also dead over the years

Been thru a few radios-remember those you older potters?also a few sets of speakers cooked over time in a heater induced hot studio drying wares.

Have had a 400 disc player in house pumps sound all week into studio-no worries about clay dust -past 10 years with it.I have a volume controls at all locations with 6 sets of speakers

one set at salt kiln another in kiln loading area and a set in studio with 3 more sets in house and on porch

Music is important to work helps me focus

All these devices where before I tunes-I do use the Ipod for van trips to shows (long drives)

Have used a digital pyro for past 20+ years as well-no digital kilns here out of 5.

Been on computers for book keeping pottery since 91-keep them in house all macs

I shoot digital images with several cameras the newest is one for an underwater a subal housing.

When in studio I'm focused on pottery production as I'm a production potter

Spend to much time moderating a web site and posting on others.I do this before and after studio work

technology for me is just another tool and most of my good tools stay out of studio

What comes into the studio get clay on it.

Mark

I create any templates for cutting on Photoshop, shoot and edit a ton of digital photos, keep all business records on the computer, listen to iTunes all day, have digital kilns, and spend too much time on certain online forums.biggrin.gif

I forgot about templates. I use illustrator, but create & print them at home.

Mark C, the beauty of an iPad is that it's less exposed than laptops and desktops. The screen is pretty forgiving. for clay fingers!

(Mark C, the beauty of an iPad is that it's less exposed than laptops and desktops. The screen is pretty forgiving. for clay fingers!)

Smartartsy-the beauty of a 400 disc cd player in the house on shuffle play is its less exposed than laptops desktops and Ipods

I own 600+ cds already and do not want to spend the time transferring all that data-Time is pots to a production potter like me.

Mark

(Mark C, the beauty of an iPad is that it's less exposed than laptops and desktops. The screen is pretty forgiving. for clay fingers!)

Smartartsy-the beauty of a 400 disc cd player in the house on shuffle play is its less exposed than laptops desktops and Ipods

I own 600+ cds already and do not want to spend the time transferring all that data-Time is pots to a production potter like me.

Mark

Oh, Mark, I wasn't trying to convince you to bring your computer into the studio! I was just relating my thoughts about bringing my iPad in vs my mac; I only keep tools out of the studio that may get destroyed!

Love my iPad, Mac, iPhone and Apple TV. I drank the kool-aid, lol. I use my Mac in the house for tweaking patterns or redrawing existing line patterns to make it easy to scale and adjust. I use a program called GlassEye 2000 that I started with when I did stained glass, but since it is really easy to use, I now use it with ceramic patterns.

I have a one piece stereo with remote in the garage that has an iPhone doc. I burned all my cd's before I bought a wheel so I have over 2400 songs available to listen to while I work and only buy digital downloads now. I keep the stereo on the other side of the garage to keep it clean and keep just the remote nearby.

I use my iPad in the garage to watch/review videos from CAD and YouTube while and in between working to make sure I get new techniques/ideas right. Occasionally, I'll watch (more like listen) a tv show using the cable company app (BrightHouse) on the iPad for something different to put some noise in the background.

Technology is so amazing if you keep control of it and don't let it control you.

Love my iPad, Mac, iPhone and Apple TV. I drank the kool-aid, lol. I use my Mac in the house for tweaking patterns or redrawing existing line patterns to make it easy to scale and adjust. I use a program called GlassEye 2000 that I started with when I did stained glass, but since it is really easy to use, I now use it with ceramic patterns.

I have a one piece stereo with remote in the garage that has an iPhone doc. I burned all my cd's before I bought a wheel so I have over 2400 songs available to listen to while I work and only buy digital downloads now. I keep the stereo on the other side of the garage to keep it clean and keep just the remote nearby.

I use my iPad in the garage to watch/review videos from CAD and YouTube while and in between working to make sure I get new techniques/ideas right. Occasionally, I'll watch (more like listen) a tv show using the cable company app (BrightHouse) on the iPad for something different to put some noise in the background.

Technology is so amazing if you keep control of it and don't let it control you.

I use a variety of PC programs to keep databases of programs, glazes, buyers, and material inventories, and other odds and ends-including billing. I also use drawing programs to design equipment, logo designs, stamp designs and studio arrangement. I also use an open source 3D modeling and animation program to design pots in 3D. Saves on visualizing without an idea of proportions to a larger project of thrown and handbuilt modules.

We had this related discussion last year...

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/topic/1040-laptop-in-the-studio/

So based on this discusion I bought myself an iPad at the end of last year. I really love it. Now I'm going to file all of my glaze recipes on the iPad, what a great idea Smartsyartsy!

My brother sent me a product called Chef Sleeves. They are clear plastic sleeves for your iPad, designed for people who cook from recipes on their iPad. They work great in the pottery studio too. The box comes with 25 but I'm still on my first one, very durable. And even if you touch them a lot with slip covered hands, somehow they stay clean.

@atanzey, no the iPad has no fan, more suitable for a dusty environment than anything with a fan

Mea

Ok, I am seriously behind you guys! Ok, I do have a Blackberry (always with a clay thumbprint on it) that goes into the studio, occasionally I take my camera to the studio, but for sound I love listing to my radio. Mo - Fr it is serious talk, Sa & Su they play old rock. Love it.

I have a small gallery attached to my studio, and that is where my computer stays. I use:

Corel Draw to do postcards, newspetters, posters and logos and other things.

Corel Photo Paint to edit photographs.

Excel to do spreadsheets for glaze recipes, tax info, mailing lists and other things.

AutoCAD to do drafting-type stuff or to draw designs to use on clay.

Word to do press releases and type letters.

I use the internet a lot, accessed through tethering my smartphone. I've been trying to develop a blog but I discovered that I don't have anything to say.

I also use a digital camera and printer/scanner. Even though it's in the gallery the printer is coated with dust. So is the top of my desk chair, so clay does manage to get in.

In the studio area I have a boom box that I use to listen to NPR or to listen to audiobooks. It sits up on top of a shelf unit and I try not to get clay on it, but it's only a matter of time.

I have three digital scales that I use for mixing glazes. One is dead but I still hang on to it. Don't know why. I'm turning into a hoarder.

Sylvia

I have a small gallery attached to my studio, and that is where my computer stays. I use:

Corel Draw to do postcards, newspetters, posters and logos and other things.

Corel Photo Paint to edit photographs.

Excel to do spreadsheets for glaze recipes, tax info, mailing lists and other things.

AutoCAD to do drafting-type stuff or to draw designs to use on clay.

Word to do press releases and type letters.

I use the internet a lot, accessed through tethering my smartphone. I've been trying to develop a blog but I discovered that I don't have anything to say.

I also use a digital camera and printer/scanner. Even though it's in the gallery the printer is coated with dust. So is the top of my desk chair, so clay does manage to get in.

In the studio area I have a boom box that I use to listen to NPR or to listen to audiobooks. It sits up on top of a shelf unit and I try not to get clay on it, but it's only a matter of time.

I have three digital scales that I use for mixing glazes. One is dead but I still hang on to it. Don't know why. I'm turning into a hoarder.

Sylvia

I use a Television to keep me company in the shop.

I use a program called GlassEye 2000 that I started with when I did stained glass, but since it is really easy to use, I now use it with ceramic patterns.

I looked GlassEye up-- looks like it is only for non-Mac. Am I correct?

BTW, I love your avatar.

Yes, GlassEye 2000 is for Mac which is a bummer, but I use Parallels with Windows 95 on my Mac to continue using the software. Bought Parallels when I first switched to Mac and only use it for GlassEye 2000. Glad you like the avatar. cool.gif

Who says you cannot teach an old dog new tricks-I took it all into studio to see what this new Tech is all about

Took my Mac book pro out into studio with my I phone in pocket and I pad in tow as well-

Day started out by bending over wheel and into the throwing water went the smart phone-which was no longer smart. Note to self- head to repair shop

Mixed up glazes before lunch -while power mixing splashed glaze all over key board on laptop-will send it off for repair next week.

Was web surfing later in day on my Ipad and and tripped and dropped Ipad into slurry bucket.

Surf session over.

Busted out the Ipod and was rocking out when the bailey power slab roller sucked up my ear bud cord and ripped my unit into the rollers. Note self this ones toast.

Now I see what this is all about a boon for the repair business

Thanks g-d this apple stuff is so cheap so I can get more in am as I have pots that need trimming

I better get up early as the apple store is a 6 hour drive 1 way.

As noted earlier everything that goes into studio gets clay on it.

Ok its just a tale of woes but old dogs like the old tricks.

Mark

While the middle class enjoy their expensive little gadgets (iPads, iPods, iPhones, cameras, laptops etc),

somewhere in a third-world country beautiful and functional pots are made in primitive conditions ...

All this consumerism gives me the creeps.

By the way, is Apple sponsoring this topic?

Apple simply makes incredible products that just works and therefore has very loyal enthusiastic consumers. (Not saying that we aren't spoiled though. wink.gif ). Tools are tools and the topic is about TECHNOLOGY tools, so of course consumerism goes with it. Not sure why this would surprise anyone given the topic. Please take that into consideration as you read this if it gives you the "creeps". rolleyes.gif Last soap box statement... artistry and design goes into many technology products and Apple is at the forefront. It's not pottery or typically considered art, but with the right perspective you can realize the artistry that goes into the design of their products. Nuf said...blink.gif

Apple simply makes incredible products that just works and therefore has very loyal enthusiastic consumers. (Not saying that we aren't spoiled though. wink.gif ). Tools are tools and the topic is about TECHNOLOGY tools, so of course consumerism goes with it. Not sure why this would surprise anyone given the topic. Please take that into consideration as you read this if it gives you the "creeps". rolleyes.gif Last soap box statement... artistry and design goes into many technology products and Apple is at the forefront. It's not pottery or typically considered art, but with the right perspective you can realize the artistry that goes into the design of their products. Nuf said...blink.gif

I agree here. Apple products have traditionally worked and do make our lives easier for those who would cross the line of personal computer values to use them. I have always used Microsoft products because I have been able to afford them, but that does not mean that I like them. A comparison of the two main strains of computing technology reveals the difference of a sprinter and a weight lifter. MS pushes with brute force (lots of glut in the operating system) Apple pushes with graceful clean directives. Pick or choose, one is perceived by many as being more artistic, I stand with that opinion.

I use slide room for show entries. I use my MacBook for storing my glaze recipes, handouts for workshops, jogs for images of my work.

I take my iPad on trips, workshops, plane flights.

In the studio, I have a dock for my iPod for music. But I still use a calculator for mixing glazes. iPad for conversions.

I do have ancient binders for notes and recipes.

Marcia

Day started out by bending over wheel and into the throwing water went the smart phone-

-while power mixing splashed glaze all over key board on laptop-will send it off for repair next week.

Was web surfing later in day on my Ipad and and tripped and dropped Ipad into slurry bucket.

Busted out the Ipod and was rocking out when the bailey power slab roller sucked up my ear bud cord and ripped my unit into the rollers.

Mark

Yeah, I remember I once got my light switch dirty. :lol:

Archived