Which NCECA was your favorite and why? | March 26, 2012

I am here in the office finishing up a few things before heading out to Seattle, Washington for 2012 NCECA. I was thinking about what a great city Seattle is... about all the great work I am going to see... and all the amazing people that will be there. It also had me thinking back to past NCECA's and what things I liked about each of the NCECA's I have attended. Each conference has it's own special memory.

What about you? Which NCECA was your favorite and why?

Post some pictures if you have them. Here is one of me with Clay whale.

If you're attending NCECA please be sure to visit with me in the Potters Council booth and see the amazing member exhibition The Chromatic Edge: http://ceramicartsdaily.org/potters-council-members/announcing-winners-of-2012-potters-council-juried-show/

post-15-133276828345_thumb.jpg

post-15-133276828345_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My first NCECA was while I was in Grad school 1971 or 72 ? in Illinois and NCECA was at Madison. We stayed at glassblower, Audrey Handler's house with Jack Troy and a bunch of students.Met Don Reitz and Soldner in the art building before Soldner's lecture. Met Gerry Williams and Pete Sabin the editors for Studio Potter, a brand new magazine and we discussed writing an article about our  oil burner design for the alternative fuels part of  the second issue. This year we celebrated the 40th Anniversary of Studio Potter Magazine with Mary Barringer the current editor with a cake in the shape of a desk.. Wow! Supermud/NCECA combo at Penn State I hung out with Frances Senska who was honored as a Fellow of NCECA by Rudy Autio her former student and listened to a young Patti Warashina close the conference with her talk and no one left early.I loved Syracuse NCECA in about 1988, the Everson Museum of American Ceramics. I wrote a report for the Journal about political ceramics after meeting Richard Notkin and seeing the work of Jeff Schlanger who I met 20 years later in Uzbekistan at a Ceramics Symposium. Syracuse had a great Art Deco hotel with excellent spots to sit with friends and have a beer and talk shop. Sat in the hallway with Paul Soldner talking raku ..very memorable. <div>Champaign/Urbana was my first trip with 2 carloads of students from Montana (Big Sk Country). They said the sky took a big dip around Iowa. Wichita, students stopped at mother-in-law's in Brighton CO en route to Wichita. Saw Michael Cardew, Juan Quezada and his brother Nicholas1992 NCECA in Tempe reunited with USSR Soviet Artists' union artists I had worked with in Latvia in 1991. Philadelphia 1975 danced with Clayton Bailey in my hometown. There have been two more in Phila. since then. There are so many memories and friends who have passed. Phila. 2010, dined with Malcolm Davis, Kathryn Narrow retiree from the Clay Studio,Elmer Craig , a fellow Fulbrighter, Russel Fouts from Belgium and my friends from Italy, Pietro Magdalena and his assistant, Claudia.

I have always felt that NCECA was like a gathering of the clans from all over the world. I can't really say which one was my favorite although this one was really special. My old..former classmate, Marge Levy was the onsite liaison with Wally Bivins. Marge has always had a knack of organization with a heavy dash of fun and zest for life!The NCECA Theme dance was the capstone at the beginning and the end of this year's conference. Over the years the number of shows have been overwhelming. I loved Louisville and hung out with old friends plus found the Rookwood complete installation in the basement lounge of the hotel where F.Scott Fitzgerald wrote the Great Gatsby. That was definitely a defining NCECA moment. I was on the Board for the Cincinnati NCECA and organized the demonstrating artists including Paul Mathieu and Beth Lo. For those who haven't been to an NCECA conference, they are memorable events. The greats and future greats are all there...with friends and future friends This is so Marge: the NCECA Theme dance for 2012  

Marcia

My first NCECA was while I was in Grad school 1971 or 72 ? in Illinois and NCECA was at Madison. We stayed at glassblower, Audrey Handler's house with Jack Troy and a bunch of students.Met Don Reitz and Soldner in the art building before Soldner's lecture. Met Gerry Williams and Pete Sabin the editors for Studio Potter, a brand new magazine and we discussed writing an article about our  oil burner design for the alternative fuels part of  the second issue. This year we celebrated the 40th Anniversary of Studio Potter Magazine with Mary Barringer the current editor with a cake in the shape of a desk.. Wow! Supermud/NCECA combo at Penn State I hung out with Frances Senska who was honored as a Fellow of NCECA by Rudy Autio her former student and listened to a young Patti Warashina close the conference with her talk and no one left early.I loved Syracuse NCECA in about 1988, the Everson Museum of American Ceramics. I wrote a report for the Journal about political ceramics after meeting Richard Notkin and seeing the work of Jeff Schlanger who I met 20 years later in Uzbekistan at a Ceramics Symposium. Syracuse had a great Art Deco hotel with excellent spots to sit with friends and have a beer and talk shop. Sat in the hallway with Paul Soldner talking raku ..very memorable. <div>Champaign/Urbana was my first trip with 2 carloads of students from Montana (Big Sk Country). They said the sky took a big dip around Iowa. Wichita, students stopped at mother-in-law's in Brighton CO en route to Wichita. Saw Michael carded, Juan Quezada and his brother Nicholas1992 NCECA in Tempe reunited with USSR Soviet Artists' union artists I had worked with in Latvia in 1991. Philadelphia 1975 danced with Clayton Bailey in my hometown. There have been two more in Phila. since then. There are so many memories and friends who have passed. Phila. 2010, dined with Malcolm Davis, Kathryn Narrow retiree from the Clay Studio,Elmer Craig , a fellow Fulbrighter, Russel Fouts from Belgium and my friends from Italy, Pietro Magdalena and his assistant, Claudia.

I have always felt that NCECA was like a gathering of the clans from all over the world. I can't really say which one was my favorite although this one was really special. M old..former classmate, Marge Levy was the onsite liaison with Wally Bivins. Marge has always had a knack of organization with a heavy dash of fun and zest for life!The NCECA Theme dance was the capstone at the beginning and the end of this year's conference. Over the years the number of shows have been overwhelming. I loved Louisville and hung out with old friends plus found the Rookwood complete installation in the basement lounge of the hotel where F.Scott Fitzgerald wrote the Great Gatsby. That was definitely a defining NCECA moment. I was on the Board for the Cincinnati NCECA and organized the demonstrating artists including Paul Mathieu and Beth Lo. For those who haven't been to an NCECA conference, they are memorable events. The greats and future greats are all there...with friends and future friends This is so Marge: the NCECA Theme dance for 2012  

Marcia

Hey, Marcia;

I was at The Madison NCECA as well. I am thinking that it was 1974, as I graduated from art school in 1975. I was in third year when Madison was on. My first time at NCECA as well. I was reluctant to write, for fear of name dropping. I will write a reflection as well. I haven't been in years.

TJR.

Hi Carolyn, unfortunately, living in Switzerland, I haven't attended a NCECA until now. Maybe in the future? I have a question though: just clicked on the link in your message for the pics of the winners of the contest "Chromatic Edge". It says "Access error" because only members may see the pics. Well, I'am a member alright and I signed in. It says "hello Evelyne etc." but at the same time it says the link is only for members of PC. Is that maybe because of the new design of the site? Btw: change to the good - congrats!

Greetings from Switzerland

Evelyne

Hi Evelyne

I can't help with the technical glitch, but i think you can see images of the show on the Potters Council Facebook page.

Hi Chris, thank you for responding! I'am no facebook member/user and opening the PC page on facebook I can only find (among other links) a link to the 2011 juried show. I guess one must have a fb account for being able to see the pictures of the 2012 show? Maybe you can post a link to the images of the show? Thank you in advance. Happy Easter!

Evelyne

Guest JBaymore

Evelyne,

Email or PM Carolyn (top pst in the thread) with your problem. She'll be able to take care of the issue. Likely you are not logged in to the forum on the same account email and password that you are signed up as a member of the Potters Council on. That will cause that stuff.

best,

...................john

Evelyne,

Email or PM Carolyn (top pst in the thread) with your problem. She'll be able to take care of the issue. Likely you are not logged in to the forum on the same account email and password that you are signed up as a member of the Potters Council on. That will cause that stuff.

best,

...................john

Hi John, thank you for your answer. Yes, I was signed in (when I tried the link) in Potters Council and, in addition, in the forum as well, means I had to fill in email and password two times. No problem though, if I still can't use Carolyn's link, I'll wait till the pics of the winners will be made public mid April. Thanks again for trying to help!

Evelyne

Hi Carolyn, unfortunately, living in Switzerland, I haven't attended a NCECA until now. Maybe in the future? I have a question though: just clicked on the link in your message for the pics of the winners of the contest "Chromatic Edge". It says "Access error" because only members may see the pics. Well, I'am a member alright and I signed in. It says "hello Evelyne etc." but at the same time it says the link is only for members of PC. Is that maybe because of the new design of the site? Btw: change to the good - congrats!

Evelyne

Eveylyn - Just back in the office from NCECA and vacation... I sent you an email message offline. I look forward to hearing from you.

And how was your first NCECA???

My first NCECA was while I was in Grad school 1971 or 72 ? in Illinois and NCECA was at Madison. We stayed at glassblower, Audrey Handler's house with Jack Troy and a bunch of students.Met Don Reitz and Soldner in the art building before Soldner's lecture. Met Gerry Williams and Pete Sabin the editors for Studio Potter, a brand new magazine and we discussed writing an article about our  oil burner design for the alternative fuels part of  the second issue. This year we celebrated the 40th Anniversary of Studio Potter Magazine with Mary Barringer the current editor with a cake in the shape of a desk.. Wow! Supermud/NCECA combo at Penn State I hung out with Frances Senska who was honored as a Fellow of NCECA by Rudy Autio her former student and listened to a young Patti Warashina close the conference with her talk and no one left early.I loved Syracuse NCECA in about 1988, the Everson Museum of American Ceramics. I wrote a report for the Journal about political ceramics after meeting Richard Notkin and seeing the work of Jeff Schlanger who I met 20 years later in Uzbekistan at a Ceramics Symposium. Syracuse had a great Art Deco hotel with excellent spots to sit with friends and have a beer and talk shop. Sat in the hallway with Paul Soldner talking raku ..very memorable. <div>Champaign/Urbana was my first trip with 2 carloads of students from Montana (Big Sk Country). They said the sky took a big dip around Iowa. Wichita, students stopped at mother-in-law's in Brighton CO en route to Wichita. Saw Michael carded, Juan Quezada and his brother Nicholas1992 NCECA in Tempe reunited with USSR Soviet Artists' union artists I had worked with in Latvia in 1991. Philadelphia 1975 danced with Clayton Bailey in my hometown. There have been two more in Phila. since then. There are so many memories and friends who have passed. Phila. 2010, dined with Malcolm Davis, Kathryn Narrow retiree from the Clay Studio,Elmer Craig , a fellow Fulbrighter, Russel Fouts from Belgium and my friends from Italy, Pietro Magdalena and his assistant, Claudia.

I have always felt that NCECA was like a gathering of the clans from all over the world. I can't really say which one was my favorite although this one was really special. M old..former classmate, Marge Levy was the onsite liaison with Wally Bivins. Marge has always had a knack of organization with a heavy dash of fun and zest for life!The NCECA Theme dance was the capstone at the beginning and the end of this year's conference. Over the years the number of shows have been overwhelming. I loved Louisville and hung out with old friends plus found the Rookwood complete installation in the basement lounge of the hotel where F.Scott Fitzgerald wrote the Great Gatsby. That was definitely a defining NCECA moment. I was on the Board for the Cincinnati NCECA and organized the demonstrating artists including Paul Mathieu and Beth Lo. For those who haven't been to an NCECA conference, they are memorable events. The greats and future greats are all there...with friends and future friends This is so Marge: the NCECA Theme dance for 2012  

Marcia

Hey, Marcia;

I was at The Madison NCECA as well. I am thinking that it was 1974, as I graduated from art school in 1975. I was in third year when Madison was on. My first time at NCECA as well. I was reluctant to write, for fear of name dropping. I will write a reflection as well. I haven't been in years.

TJR.

I was there in 1971 with Grad students from SIU Carbondale for a ceramics event with paul Soldner and Don Reitz. I dropped out of Grad school for a year in 1972. 1973 or 74 may have been another ceramics event at Madison when our Glassblowing prof, Bill Boysen, arranged for us to stay with Audrey Handler. So one of those years was an NCECA. 1973 or 74 NCECA was in Flagstaff, and I couldn't go due to a car accident injury. It was somewhere around there. I was in Phila. in 1975 and NCECA was there that year.

Marcia

Evelyne

Eveylyn - Just back in the office from NCECA and vacation... I sent you an email message offline. I look forward to hearing from you.

And how was your first NCECA???

Hi Carolyn

Thank you for your message here and in the email. Just responded to the email. Chris and John tried to help and now I can reach the site via your above mentioned link. I hope your time in Seattle was a great one and that you had a wonderful vacation time!

Love,

Evelyne

I'm from Prince George, Canada. This was my first NCECA. I was lucky enough to go to the Archie Bray 60th celebration last year, and that was the first time I got the sense that this is a big "family" and I felt welcomed into it. It was so nice to be surrounded by so many people that are connected with our interest or passion towards clay. So of course I must say this was my favorite NCECA! I had no idea what I was missing before this year. My favorite part was seeing old friends and meeting new ones, especially Marcia Selsor! who I was so lucky to get to know at the pre-NCECA wood fire we went to at Michael McCulloughs. as well as the rest of the gang I met there. The really fun part was for me was though I had seen Marcia's work published in various places and read her advice in ceramic forums, I had not quite heard her last name properly so didn't quite put it together until after we finished wood firing. It was apparent though, that she is a ceramic genius and had my full respect before I realized who she was. Thanks Marcia! I enjoyed our adventures at the conference and hope I can get you up to Prince George for a workshop.

Leanna

Archived