Glazing trouble

Hello, I work at a summer camp as the Fine Arts Director and use Skutt Kiln sitter (model KS-1027) to fire the children's ceramic works.  However, I have recently run into a couple of problems. The glazes that the children use contain bits of colored fragments, which pile up in sendementary layers in the bottom of the bottle. The glazes came like this via mail and I assumed that  the fragments  wouldn't effect the quality of the glaze, but (in specifically warm colors) the fragments are beginning to appear in the ceramics pieces post glaze firing. Is this normal, or should I reorder glazes? Additionally, the glazes, as a collective, aren't turning into glass completly and resemble a more matte surface once fired. I am not sure if this is because there arent enough layers of glaze on the ceramic mugs or if is it the kiln. I have also been experiencing strange color transformation from the glazes in the kiln: the green isn't turning into green, but rather orange. As I am writing this I realize that this may all be because prehaps I have ordered  faulty glazes. 

I welcome all advice and solutions.

Thank you.

Madisonmint,

try a stick blender to take care of the mixing problem, it will make certain the glazes are mixed well. Check the kiln by setting a series of cones at least at 06 in different places in the kiln. This will help you decide. . . if you need to re-calibrate the setter, if you need to turn some switches on earlier than others to even out the firing, and if the problem is more of the glazes than the kiln.

best,

Pres

Archived