clear glaze question

CPT

Hi:

I have just finished some coffee mugs using Duncan Concepts underglazes.

I dipped the entire mugs using Duncan's Clear Dipping Glaze. When I fired to Cone 6, it made my colors run together underneath....the colors weren't as brilliant.

Can I still pour some clear glaze just on the INSIDE and rim of the mug, to make it food safe?

Hi:

I have just finished some coffee mugs using some Duncan Concepts underglazes.

I dipped the entire mugs using Duncan's Clear Dipping Glaze. When I fired to Cone 6, it made my colors run together underneath....the colors weren't as brilliant.

Can I still pour some clear glaze just on the INSIDE and rim of the mug, to make it food safe?

Those underglazes and the clear glaze are intended for low fire work, not mid range. While some hold up fine, may are not recommended for cone 6, and many start to gloss over. SEE HERE. For underglazes that won't run at cone 6, I recommend Speedball, and some of the Amaco Velvets. You also need a clear glaze that is formulated for cone 6.

I have used Duncan concepts and tested in a variety of ways. Cone 6, cone 04, single fire, etc.

(all worked well!)

Although the colors aren't as bright at cone 6 (with Amoco's HF-10 over) they are still nice (greens were a little dull).

The concepts seemed to get a bit glossy on their own without a glaze as well.

I needed the bright colors for a elementary school outdoor tile mural. so I bisque fired to cone 6 and glaze fired to cone 04 using the LG-10 clear over.

It worked beautifully! Bright colors and strength. It has been up for 6 years in WI. winters and looks great.

I also like the Amoco Velvets a lot. some colors are not as bright (dull greens mostly and iron reds seem to burn out).

I have also tried testing of (1%-30%) additions of Mason stain to my porcelain throwing body and have been very successful.

The clear glaze you use will have a great influence on color.

Good luck and Happy testing

Hang in there.

I have used Duncan concepts and tested in a variety of ways. Cone 6, cone 04, single fire, etc.

(all worked well!)

Although the colors aren't as bright at cone 6 (with Amoco's HF-10 over) they are still nice (greens were a little dull).

The concepts seemed to get a bit glossy on their own without a glaze as well.

I needed the bright colors for a elementary school outdoor tile mural. so I bisque fired to cone 6 and glaze fired to cone 04 using the LG-10 clear over.

It worked beautifully! Bright colors and strength. It has been up for 6 years in WI. winters and looks great.

I also like the Amoco Velvets a lot. some colors are not as bright (dull greens mostly and iron reds seem to burn out).

I have also tried testing of (1%-30%) additions of Mason stain to my porcelain throwing body and have been very successful.

The clear glaze you use will have a great influence on color.

Good luck and Happy testing

Hang in there.

Archived