Sign in to follow this  
CactusPots

Lowest price pots you sell retail

I know there's a lot of variables, but since I can ask some real pro potters, what's the bottom line?  To define things a little, let's say 2 pounds, no attachments, trim the bottom allowed, at most 2 dip glaze.  Maybe a lot of potters don't even make something like that and your mugs are your smallest/cheapest.  I've read the other posts,  that is mostly 25-35 $.   So do you not have a $10 pot then?

For inexpensive items, size matters. Perceived value comes in to play a little. 2 lbs of clay makes a soup bowl, which for me is definitely in the $30 (+/- $5) range.

I make little multi-use dishes, mini cups, Christmas ornaments etc in the $10-15 range. All things I can knock out in a hurry with minimal effort, and are essentially kiln filler. These items I don't wholesale or consign ever: they're just something I have to be able to offer something at that price point while selling in person. 

Edit: small things like this are always worth having.  They defintely have a way of padding your sales.

Here's my $10-12 pot.  Maybe 6" tall, 2lbs of clay.  Single dip of B Shino, quick dump of wood ash while it's wet and a "gesture" of a temoku type glaze from a squeeze bottle.  It's got a nice hole in the bottom, perfect for many small succulents.

image.png.7447ec0e1217a61ea697ed2153751d4d.png

Here's my cheap stuff. Rice bowls and spoons rests.  Take a minute to throw, aren't trimmed and are two dip glazed. Spoon rests 1lb, rice bowls 12 oz

These are kiln stuffers.  If I have an inch of height left in the kiln it gets spoon rests, if I have 2 inches it gets rice bowls.

I'm also working on soap dishes, sponge holders and business card holders as filler as well, they're just not ready

PhotoPictureResizer_190616_195144386_crop_4032x3024-1612x1209.jpg

Edited by liambesaw