superficial glazing

Is it possible to glaze the surface of something, without baking the whole object?  If I have an existing object and only want to put glaze on the surface of a portion, do I need to kiln fire the whole object or can I direct heat to just the surface of just that section of the object?  How long would it take to melt the glaze?  Excuse my ignorance and possible use of incorrect terminology

i think you are going to be disappointed in hearing that the whole object needs to be fired in a kiln to the correct temperature of the glaze you want to melt.   just put the glaze where you want it and ignore the rest.   it will get hot in firing but will cool off and become hard when it is over and the glaze will be firmly in place wherever you have put it.    picture a plain vase with a red balloon on the front. 

do you have access to a kiln?  do you know any person who knows what to do or are you just experimenting with something for fun?

disclaimer.......... depending on the glaze recipe being stable and not one that runs down any vertical surface.  some glazes do that.

sending photos would help.

One suggestion is to get a basic book on working with clay, unless this is a one-shot deal.  Processes, terminology, chemistry, techniques etc. etc. are all essential to have a working knowledge of, whether you are dabbling for fun or seeking to enter the world of ceramics.  One basic terminology correction: clay is fired, not baked. When you say "an existing object", what exactly is it and do you know what the clay is? Is the object still "greenware" (dried hard, not fired yet)?     Welcome to the forums. No need to apolgize for what you don't know--if you're interested, you will learn, and this group has a wide variety of skill/experience levels.

You can use china paints that (allegedly) don't need to be fired, but can be put into a domestic oven which improves the durability.  

I painted these commercially produced cups for my mum, and they still look good, in daily use in a care home, but only hand-washed.

1144107921_MumsCupsSmaller.jpg.68deafa908aa0e59f387f4f44fe207a0.jpg

Archived