Sign in to follow this  
nancylee

Amazed by glazes on earthenware

Hi all,

I am fairly new to this pottery adventure, and in the studio where I learn, we use clay that is glazed and fired to Cone 6, stoneware. I love the colors, but we mostly dip and pour. I got a few books out of the library, and I am blown away at what some artists do on earthenware!!! I think my favorite is Jane Cox of London. Question: is her type of glazing only able to be done on earthenware, or can you do it on B-Mix and the 60 and 80 clays we have (and I don't know if that is the formal name or not. Sorry.) And are there any good resources I can find that will give me an idea of how it is done? Thank you in advance!

Nancy

post-6053-133238202903_thumb.jpg

post-6053-133238202903_thumb.jpg

http://www.cpaceramics.co.uk/gallery_detail.php?member_id=110

Sorry if this comes thru twice. The link explains she uses slips not underglazes. I am guessing that dark slip and some paper resist motifs to form her patterns underneath the transparent coloured earthenware glazes are what make her work look so good - oh and of course - skill! She also does a lot of silkscreening on paper - which to me seems to fit her style of decoration.

Hi,

Thank you for the information and help,

Nancy

http://www.cpacerami...p?member_id=110

Sorry if this comes thru twice. The link explains she uses slips not underglazes. I am guessing that dark slip and some paper resist motifs to form her patterns underneath the transparent coloured earthenware glazes are what make her work look so good - oh and of course - skill! She also does a lot of silkscreening on paper - which to me seems to fit her style of decoration.