Bubbles on glaze mixture surface

tbaa

My new batch of glaze has a lot of bubbles - Just on the surface.  I've  stirred it over a few days,  but they are still there.  Very evident when I dip test tiles.

I had this issue before, and found a suggestion to spray a mixture of alcohol and water on the surface.  Or could it be vinegar and water? ?? In either case I cant remember the proportions.  Any ideas to solve this problem?  Many thanks.  

@tbaa, any chance your glaze has spodumene in it? Spodumene often comes with soap residue from the processing of the material. If there is spodumene in the glaze then I would suggest washing it before using it. Going forward, weigh out the amount you need for the recipe and then add a lot of hot water to it and give it a thorough stir. Pour off the water and repeat but this time let it sit for a few hours before pouring off the water. This gets rid of most of the frothy bubbles. Spodumene is very slightly soluble so don't leave it sit around in the washing water for days and days.

I'll check on the spodumene and lithium - and make a note of both points !  The rubbing alcohol is what I tried before...  I used a solution - and will try it neat and diluted.  thanks for the tip about vinegar as well.  What a relief, I can go ahead with glazing!!!  THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.

Just rub over any bubbles that remain on the surface of the glazed pot with your finger when the glaze is dry. They probably wouldn't be an issue but it's safer to rub them out rather than chance it until you've fired and seen the results either way.

@liambesaw, I would imagine the extra processing that is used to produce lithium carb would clean up the detergent/soap residue. I believe there is a roasting process used in one method that should burn off the soap but perhaps there is another way of refining the product that doesn't do this, dunno. I just tried mixing a bit of lithium carb plus water and no bubbles.

Archived