Crazing disaster

Hi all. 
I know what my problem is. I sprayed a low fire slip onto a raku clay. Bisqued. And then applied my glazes. After a second firing, it has lifted off in some small sections.  Can't up load a video so here's a screenshot.

What I need is help on decided how to save it.

I thought some of you might know. I was thinking of injecting with a syringe superglue. 

But what I really want is some product, like a glass varnish that will hold it on and not be too tacky and durable....

I'm afraid if I fire it again, the whole thing will shimmer off....or whatever the tech term is... 

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 19.47.23.jpg

City16 resize.jpg

• neilestrick changed the title to Crazing disaster

Not so dry, but verging. Yes, I am kicking myself. Why take short cuts!? 

I think I'll try the super glue first. And then look for a sealant....any one know of a some magic stuff?

And I will just need to make a better one next time. It's  so punishing ceramics. You spend all that time, and just when it's about finished, it kicks your butt....

You would need a clear resin to keep it from spalling off

but its going to spall off over time otherwise as the bond is gone underneath

you could try the superglue in small sections but I'm thinking it will continue to spall elsewhere.

yes ceramics can get you at any point.

I've seen a lot of people are using an epoxy and such, for tabletops.  They seal things under them, so they are still visible, but the epoxy creates a usable surface.  So perhaps applying something like that, to create a coating around it.

Beautiful piece, by the way.

17 hours ago, Grace london said:

<snip> It's  so punishing ceramics. You spend all that time, and just when it's about finished, it kicks your butt.... <snip>

Ceramics - oh so many opportunities to fail :)  ..... this is when you have to channel Thomas Edison who said "I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work"   Nice piece - the next one will be even better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived