Glaze Advice Needed :)

Hey...I'm looking for a bit of advice. I would like to create a glaze similar to the picture I've attached. I would like to be able to get the blue and pink to blend to create a dreamy, sky-type appearance. I know the gold is gold lustre, it's the colours underneath I would like to have a go and doing myself.

Would anyone be able to give me some guidance?

Would I be able to do this with commercial glazes?

Is it just a case of lots and lots of experiments and tests?

Thanks in advance :)

73f2267a42ee441135e26d27d370df42.jpg

Picture credit - IG: @anotherseattleartist

13 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

You could ask @anotherseattleartist how they did it.

Yes I could but I also wouldn't want her to think I was copying her work. I know how guarded glaze recipes can be. 

Thanks for your enormously helpful advice tho.

Most potters are fine sharing their glazes and secrets.  I've asked many now how they achieve something and they have all been more than willing to tell me.  First step, ask the person who made it!  If they don't want to tell you, try to figure it out ;)

I think most potters recognize that someone else using their style in a different area is not going to affect their bottom line.  Plus I'm willing to bet that they learned it from someone else as well.

you could try to duplicate that exact pot and never do it.   i am happy to share recipes because i recognize that what you do will be different from what i do.   i have only been turned away once and that was by a super suspicious shop owner who thought that the potter had a special technique that he would not share.   the potter was very forthcoming once i reached him.

I share many of my glazes when asked. Not all but most. I have a few that where given to me to keep to myself and I honer that deal.Most of my glazes are already published.

My favorite iron glazes is from a Ceramics Monthly mag a few years ago.It uses synthetic bone ash-I just bought a 50 # bag as my last bag was given to me and the new bag cost$199 and that is with the 12 ton discount on materials. Spendy stuff

I gave out a few recipes at a show a few days ago.

The deal is if you have my formula the chance you can create the same look in my reduction atmosphere in your kiln is usually pretty slim.

The best way is testing,testing testing.

That glaze looks sprayed and I'm guessing is cone 6 with gold luster refired to cone 018 but its just a guess.Ask the potter and you may be surprised 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived