Best ceramic apron/smock?

Before I go and reinvent the wheel, what are the best ceramic aprons/smocks you have found?

I have the apron with the split legs which is good, but my arms still get gunky... (I'm a high school teacher that has to dress professionally while teaching ceramics all day - everything I own has stains)

Ideally, I'd like the ceramic split leg apron with sleeves and a ton of pockets.... 

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. 

Obviously, that wheel will have to be reinvented for each of our individual needs. Maybe check out the catalogs of uniform supply companies to see what's available and appealing. I throw pretty dry, so my legs don't need protection, but I still wear my decommissioned lightweight work jackets we wore at the Pottery Shack - 3/4 sleeves, crotch length, button front, two pockets, loose fit. More pockets usually means hunting more places. Although I don't usually wear polyester, these jackets wash beautifully and  wear like iron. Mine were used when I got them in 1979! I also wear them for outdoor work like gardening and painting. As soon as I put one on, I feel ready to work.

Big plastic garbag splut up back tied higher than waist...towel over one leg for hand wipes. For throwing only .

Previously had aprons with front flaps which envelope at front so legs are protected but now just the garbag scenario. Last ages or I wouldnt use them.

May get industrious and make another couple of aprons over winter

Pjty those voluminous denim skirts were not arpund anymore I could adapt them...or maybe wide legged jeans.. better get down to the op shop

On 5/14/2019 at 6:42 PM, elaine clapper said:

When I was teaching high school I was just always dusty, it was a given.  But I did have a student who kept a set of mechanics overalls he put on over his clothes when it was his day on the wheel. That was the best overall solution.

I see what you did there...

Personally, if I felt the need to cover up my working clothes (which is an odd notion,  since they are working clothes!) I would hire a local seamstress or tailor and have them make exactly the kind of "protective" covering that would be most functional for that goal.  

28 minutes ago, LeeU said:

Personally, if I felt the need to cover up my working clothes (which is an odd notion,  since they are working clothes!) I would hire a local seamstress or tailor and have them make exactly the kind of "protective" covering that would be most functional for that goal.  

Logical but I really dont like sitting with wet legs or any other parts for that matter..no heating in shed now gas kiln defunct. I'm a hands to haunches wiper of hands so......hair gets pushed outof way with slip covered hands  so i need some protection from self

I have an apron that I wear all when I remember it in the shop, which is most days. It is made in England and now offered in the states through the Bill Van Gilder Pottery supply. It is made of some sort of light weight material that resists water, washes off easily, dries quickly, and has a clip area for a towel/rag to wipe hands on. It also has split leg covers and over the shoulder straps with an adjustable back clip.  PotApron

best,

Pres

12 hours ago, LeeU said:

I totally agree. Figure out what you need and have it made. When I worked for A.R.T. Clay, the denim aprons that we sold were made by a local seamstress.

My main reason for the apron is that it cuts dust that I track into the house, dust that builds up in my clothes when working, etc. Aprons are a pain, but this is the best solution I have found.

best,

Pres

My main issue is I'm required to wear dress pants and dress shirts to teach ceramics (thank goodness the concept of teachers wearing ties has finally passed). I like the idea of lab coat, but things have a tendency to soak through and still stain my dress clothes. I have the split leg denim aprons which work well but my kids are messy and I still end up with mystery stains on my arms and back. Denim coveralls might be the best solution. 

I know where you are at MisterP, taught HS for 36, usually 2-4 classes in ceramics a day, always looking for a better way to handle the clothing. .  we were required to wear shirts and ties, in the beginning sport coats. I usually tucked the ties, sometimes took them off. Once I was demo'ing and my tie got caught in the ball while centering and wrapped under the wheel head and yanked me down into the wheel. . . so sudden no way to recover, knocked me senseless for a bit, almost on the floor. Kids were really upset, tie was ruined. Learned a big lesson, always tucked and wore an apron. Have you realized that scungy pads (dry ones) can be used to remove dry clay easily from you pants, also if you wear beige or tan pants the scungy will almost completely make them almost look clean again. Don't rub hard, just enough to remove the clay. Nowdays if I were still teaching and it were allowed I would wear tac' pants.

best,

Pres

Archived