#21 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

[quote name='neilestrick' date='03 April 2012 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1333483560' post='15445']
[quote name='Lucille Oka' date='03 April 2012 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1333474148' post='15442']
99% of the world???
[/quote]

As in 99% of people who fire to cone 10 do so in reduction, not oxidation.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#22 2 hawii

2 hawii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hi, I'm new here, but been hand building for 20+ years. I've not done much since I've been in San Diego these last 10 years, but I did take a college course in 2009 where I fired a number of large and small items. I live in San Diego East County (CA). Can anyone tell me of anywhere I can fire here locally? I'm older and it's hard for me to take classes as I've had medical problems for the last 11 years, but I do hand build at home in my condo. I'd like to fire some of my projects, which can to be up to 2' X 2'. Most are smaller, but still up to 14" across and 1' tall. Does anyone have any suggestions and what I can expect to pay to have items fired in my area of the country. I'd appreciate any emails with suggestions, Thanks Jannet

#23 Edith Marie

Edith Marie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHelena Montana

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

I live in North County San Diego and I have no kiln. I have many years experience in Pottery but my little studio in the garage of my rented condo is no place for a kiln. Not to mention no permission from the rental office. I have a wheel and a slab roller and the studio is cram packed with unfired cone 6 and cone 10 small pieces. I am currently enrolled in the local college so I can fire but I am restricted to their clay and glazes. I have searched for a workshop in the area but haven't found one yet. Or even better would be someone with a small studio that could use another potter to share the cost of firing. My email is darthehues at sign gmail dot com. Thanks

You are on the right track looking for a used kiln. I have a used kiln in my garage and it works out great even in the winter when it isn't soooo cold to go out to the garage that is. I belong to a clay guild and when we fire our salt/soda kiln it cost around $90 for the gas. I almost fell off my chair when I read $250 to fire a kiln. Bisque firing at the guild cost $45 for the electricity. Good Luck, hope you find a used kiln very soon!

#24 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

Hi, I'm new here, but been hand building for 20+ years. I've not done much since I've been in San Diego these last 10 years, but I did take a college course in 2009 where I fired a number of large and small items. I live in San Diego East County (CA). Can anyone tell me of anywhere I can fire here locally? I'm older and it's hard for me to take classes as I've had medical problems for the last 11 years, but I do hand build at home in my condo. I'd like to fire some of my projects, which can to be up to 2' X 2'. Most are smaller, but still up to 14" across and 1' tall. Does anyone have any suggestions and what I can expect to pay to have items fired in my area of the country. I'd appreciate any emails with suggestions, Thanks Jannet

Hi Jannet,
Also in East County, might be able to fire for you. I have an electric 7 cubic footer. Reaches cone 6 fine, its a stretch to make 10. you can private message me if you want to take a look. I also have some Med difficulty, we can compare pains if nothing else...laugh

Dave

#25 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Was that the black spot...did you give me the black spot ?

:unsure:

#26 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

...or not...

:unsure:

#27 DWheel

DWheel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

I live in North County San Diego and I have no kiln. I have many years experience in Pottery but my little studio in the garage of my rented condo is no place for a kiln. Not to mention no permission from the rental office. I have a wheel and a slab roller and the studio is cram packed with unfired cone 6 and cone 10 small pieces. I am currently enrolled in the local college so I can fire but I am restricted to their clay and glazes. I have searched for a workshop in the area but haven't found one yet. Or even better would be someone with a small studio that could use another potter to share the cost of firing. My email is darthehues at sign gmail dot com. Thanks

#28 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

I almost fell off my chair when I read $250 to fire a kiln.

The fuel cost is only a small part of the real costs to fire a kiln. Anyone who charges their firing fees based solely on the costs for fuel is losing money rapidly. R+M and depreciation is an important component. And if that firing fee includes ANY labor to actruall load or fire the kiln....... the real costs skyrocket. SKILLED craftspeoplel's time is worth a lot when burger flipper start at $10 an hour and minimum wage is $7.50 an hour.

My real firing costs to fire my noborigama are basically astronomical.

best,

.................john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#29 Essaily

Essaily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Were you able to find a place to fire? Someone fired some buttons in a gas propane fibre kiln, but please be careful with the ceramic fibre, quite dangerous to inhale or touch.

#30 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

you must get your clay somewhere. ask them for any notices posted about local classes or such given by individuals. or, may i suggest you check the yellow pages for suppliers, ask each of them if they have a bulletin board, post the problem there, and maybe you will find someone who wants help in their studio in exchange for firing. i know it sounds old fashioned, (even the phrase old fashioned is out of fashion) but maybe that is just what you need. find a potters guild. talk to potters you see at fairs or sales events. check out whether there is an empty bowl event, find other potters!
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#31 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

I almost fell off my chair when I read $250 to fire a kiln.

The fuel cost is only a small part of the real costs to fire a kiln. Anyone who charges their firing fees based solely on the costs for fuel is losing money rapidly. R+M and depreciation is an important component. And if that firing fee includes ANY labor to actruall load or fire the kiln....... the real costs skyrocket. SKILLED craftspeoplel's time is worth a lot when burger flipper start at $10 an hour and minimum wage is $7.50 an hour.

My real firing costs to fire my noborigama are basically astronomical.

best,

.................john

It is the old Shoji Hamada quote, "60 years... plus 15 seconds."
Brian Reed

Throwing down in Washington State

http://www.reedpottery.com

Northwest Clay Club

#32 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hi Jannet,
Also in East County, might be able to fire for you.

yeah.... original poster missing in action

Last Active:Posted Image Jun 16 2012 09:37 PM.....So...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users