• 3 months later...

I live in North County San Diego and I have no kiln. I have many years experience in Pottery but my little studio in the garage of my rented condo is no place for a kiln. Not to mention no permission from the rental office. I have a wheel and a slab roller and the studio is cram packed with unfired cone 6 and cone 10 small pieces. I am currently enrolled in the local college so I can fire but I am restricted to their clay and glazes. I have searched for a workshop in the area but haven't found one yet. Or even better would be someone with a small studio that could use another potter to share the cost of firing. My email is darthehues at sign gmail dot com. Thanks

Guest JBaymore
I almost fell off my chair when I read $250 to fire a kiln.

The fuel cost is only a small part of the real costs to fire a kiln. Anyone who charges their firing fees based solely on the costs for fuel is losing money rapidly. R+M and depreciation is an important component. And if that firing fee includes ANY labor to actruall load or fire the kiln....... the real costs skyrocket. SKILLED craftspeoplel's time is worth a lot when burger flipper start at $10 an hour and minimum wage is $7.50 an hour.

My real firing costs to fire my noborigama are basically astronomical.

best,

.................john

you must get your clay somewhere. ask them for any notices posted about local classes or such given by individuals. or, may i suggest you check the yellow pages for suppliers, ask each of them if they have a bulletin board, post the problem there, and maybe you will find someone who wants help in their studio in exchange for firing. i know it sounds old fashioned, (even the phrase old fashioned is out of fashion) but maybe that is just what you need. find a potters guild. talk to potters you see at fairs or sales events. check out whether there is an empty bowl event, find other potters!

• 3 weeks later...
I almost fell off my chair when I read $250 to fire a kiln.

The fuel cost is only a small part of the real costs to fire a kiln. Anyone who charges their firing fees based solely on the costs for fuel is losing money rapidly. R+M and depreciation is an important component. And if that firing fee includes ANY labor to actruall load or fire the kiln....... the real costs skyrocket. SKILLED craftspeoplel's time is worth a lot when burger flipper start at $10 an hour and minimum wage is $7.50 an hour.

My real firing costs to fire my noborigama are basically astronomical.

best,

.................john

It is the old Shoji Hamada quote, "60 years... plus 15 seconds."

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi fellow potters, 

I realize this post is a few years old, but I'd love if anyone can recommend a place to fire in North County San Diego. I fire Cone 10 and have noticed that a lot of local and production places in the area do a lot more terra cotta and primarily low fire firings. I'm looking into buying a gas kiln but until then, I'd love to fire elsewhere. 

I'm also curious if anyone would be interested in renting kiln space once I get one? I'm located in Vista, North County SD.

Thanks, 

Chelsea

Archived