mrjsaul

Drain sink to outside - Any enviro/health concerns?

Hey Folks,

I am considering draining a utility sink from my basement directly into a drainage ditch near my house.  I will not be putting any glaze or chemicals down this sink - just clay particles only from cleanup.  I just want to be double sure there are no negative side effects to the environment.  It is clay after all but thought I would check.  Any concerns of which I should be aware?

Thanks,

Josh

A better idea, would be to put in a trap, that way only the water is draining out.

If you do a forum search, you will find a lot of discussions of various commercially-made traps, as well as ways to make your own.

I agree with the trap idea. With that, I'd just dump the water into a flower bed or water garden in my yeard. I'd also check with the local authorities to see if it's legal to dump into the ditch. I'm betting it's not.

21 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Wow a whole garden for weeds. We get enough in our vegetable garden no need for an extra garden

It's mostly ivy and blackberries, only things that'll grow in the shade!  I was hoping all of my "toxic" glaze schmoo would killem off. 

I take my clay sludge (no glaze chemicals)  from my clay settling system and pack it along the asphalt road in front of my house.   The road drops off to  a steep ditch,   the eight blocks of street is cracking and slipping down into the ditch except for the area where  I pack my clay  when the soil washes away.   I don't know if it legal or not but I don't think anyone would care,  we are at the edge of the city and the police don't even come out to our area   After we built here I called the city to see why I couldn't hear a tornado siren,   they told me I was in  dead zone.  (Very funny)  They didn't have a siren in my area  or many  other services.    I went out and bought a tornado weather alert system  and wondered why I had to pay city taxes.  Denice