Sign in to follow this  
tomhumf

Insulated travel mug

I've been working a  travel mug design for a while. It is basically a tapered tall cup with a lip that fits a silicone sip lid. 

My biggest problem has been how to insulate it enough so you can hold really hot liquids comfortably without a handle. 

My current design uses a couple of circles of clay attached where you would naturally grab the cup. I have carved lines in them to aid with air flow. The cups are still a little hot to hold straight after pouring though. 

I have some commercially made travel cups that have a double wall as insulation but that isn't going to be possible with a thrown form. 

I'm wondering if I could make a thick slip to go on the outside. In the slip I would add some kind of combustible - little paper balls? Then as they burn out I'd get lots of little air pockets for insulation. I'm firing a gas kiln outside so fumes wouldn't really be a problem.

Is this a crazy idea. Any other suggestions? 

I've seen double walled ceramic mugs, also seen silicone sleeves. The double walled were thrown in two pieces and connected at the rim.

Your idea sounds interesting, you should flesh it out

Edited by liambesaw