Glazing

We have tried to offer the glazing classes at the Art Center where I teach part time, but it can be difficult to find the number of students needed to make the class a 'go'. I would guess that in the more populous areas that the glazing classes would find enough students. I seem to recall seeing them advertised occaisionally in other places... sometimes mixed in with other surface decorating techniques. Best wishes!

A few years ago I did small workshops mainly for mould making, slip casting. It eventually lead to some requesting glaze techniques which was great but after the pots were glazed it was left up to me to do the packing of the kiln and firing. So it became a lot of work and I could not see the advantage of learning to prepare and apply a glaze without learing how to fire it correctly.

I have attended a number of workshops working with clay and mold making, however, I have never seen one for "hands on glazing" Are these ever offered?

Often Raku workshops include a glazing session. If you're looking to learn about making and mixing glazes, try your local colleges. They often have summer or weekend non-credited classes that can be affordable and usually involve the entire process, including glazing.

I have attended a number of workshops working with clay and mold making, however, I have never seen one for "hands on glazing" Are these ever offered?

I attended a glaze class last summer at Claymakers in Durham, NC, taught by Susan Filley, and it was incredible. Learned so much, as we went through the chemical make-up of glazes and implications (I've never had a chemistry class, but still got the gist of the instruction), how to use the raw materials, weighing, mixing, testing, and then glazing. Highly recommend this class if it's offered again. Susan teaches classes all over the country, so she may be teaching this particular subject somewhere other than in Durham. Best of luck in finding this class, and by my experience, it's well worth trying to find one.

I am giving a glazing Techniques in August 2010:

• Glazing Techniques

August 9 – 13, 2010

Learn glazing techniques including, pouring, brushing, spraying, dipping, stencils, overlapping, latex, was resist, multi-firing, decals, china paints, sandblasting, etc.

John Britt’s Studio

Daily 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

$450.00 includes glaze notebook (PLUS $50.00 FIRING AND MATERIALS FEE) $500.00 Total

John Britt Pottery Studio

154 Sparks Road

Bakersville, NC 28705

828-467-5020

johnbrittpottery@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Archived