Tumble stacking the bisque-electrics
Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:11 PM
The kiln finished firing, it took exactly 15 hours to run my load of tumble stacked bisque. I looked at my log and it usually takes 13 1/2 hours to run. So if I add the 1 hour preheat I added to the normal cycle it took 30 minutes longer to run the tumble stacked load. Is it because there was a LOT more in there? I usually use about 5 shelves I only used 3 this time with my taller posts and stacked as much as I could onto each shelf. I lost count since I kept having to go find more pieces to add but plan to count how much I got in there and try to compare it to my usual loads. I am betting I get 3 glaze loads out of this 1 bisque.
Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:32 PM
Well there you go Pugaboo looks like you are to something good. Just think of all the savings.
By the way I usually use about 3-4-5 shelves when doing this in the big skut 12227 kiln. I tend to do this in the gas kilns as well-I stuff until you cannot stuff anymore.Never could figure out the waste of doing it the Traditional way taught in schools once I figured it out.
Thanks for redeeming me.
- Pugaboo likes this
Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:21 PM
good for you, i have seen stuff just piled all over the place without any shelves. these were identical commemorative items about the size of quart size vases. they touched the walls from side to side and there were no posts at all. it does work. i think the design and sizing was done with this kind of firing in mind. the glaze firing was uniformly spaced on shelves with 6 inch posts.
Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:18 PM
Emptied the kiln and everything came out perfectly. No cracks, warping or mystery happenings. Yay!
I added up everything I had in there and I was able to fit $2300 worth of saleable bisque into my little 18x23 electric kiln. I added up how much I got the last time I ran a load and it was only $935 worth. Tumble stacking is WORTH IT! I am staggered by the difference. I know I can fit even more in there with a bit of planning and having on hand a wider variety of pieces to fit in different shaped spots and inside other pieces.
I glazed some of the pieces I had in the tumble stacked load and am firing them now. This should be a good test to see if I have any issues with pinholes or not. Everything is a test at this point so I guess it's wait and see.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users