Studio Set-up Continued--Hot Water

Dear All,

Let me begin by first thanking each and everyone of you for responding to my no water in my studio post. I have got now a white laundry tube basin that I will use. I will however, be adopting the bucket system.

Now, as for the hot water thing...

I have thought about possibly having the contracter slink my 100 foot hose inside the studio. This will be useful for a turnon//off system of water while inside. I will also investigate the immersion pump system when I speak with the plumber.

I have also got this idea about the possibility of getting one of those water cooler things where you can dispense both hot and cold water. I must price these out but this may be another option for warm throwing water. If worse comes to worse, I will simply get a kettle and some rubber gloves for clean up in the buckets.

All and all thing are coming together nicely.

I have not bought bags of clay or large amounts of chemical at this point. I am sticking to two glazes. One that is a commercial product recommended by Tuckers. The other is a glaze I know and that they have weighed out the ingredients and have sent to me. I have lots of oxides and commercial colorants I can mix with slip that I make on my own.

I have many sieve sizes but will stick to the talisman for the main two or three first sievings of the glaze.

I have got some good solid shelves from Home Depot. While they don't allow air flow from underneath the way good slatted shelves do they will be fine for now.

My contracter asked me today if I wanted to paint the floors in the studio since they are fresh concrete. My answer was no. I am guessing that I will likely be using a lot of water on this floor and using the industrial vacuum to clean so I am not sure I really need painting done.

I have hallogen lighting and some goose neck lamps in assorted places in the studio for extra light. You can never have enough light.

All and all, I am happy. Things are going well and it is just bit by bit that I am adding my storage stock to the room.

Thank you again to all of you on this forum for your great recommendations.

Nelly

Nellie;

As you know, I also live in Canada so warm water is an issue for those of us living in a cold climate. I plan on trenching a line from my house under ground to my studio. A distance of about 20 feet. I will also have a drain back to the house in the same trench. I am worried about it clogging, so will not put any clat down it.

I got a free deep sink from the Home Ec. classroom, but then I found a laundry tub in the back lane. [Also free]. Is two sinks too much?

I plan to use the tub for glaze mixing and the other sink for hand washing.

On the floor-I washed it for the first time, and found that the wet mop really dragged. I moved all my equipment to one half of the floor, and sealed it with a plastic sealer-used a roller.I used three coats, and it looks great.

TJR.

How about using one of those huge coffee urns to have hot water on demand? They hold a lot of water and can stay on for long periods of time. You can find them sometimes in thrift stores and restaurant supply stores.

I have been looking at a tankless water heater for my new studio but I haven't done enough research to be very helpful to you; but of course there needs to be an incoming water pipeline for this to work.

I forgot the most important part -the water supply. I am installing a one gallon tank for hot water. I will only have it on when I need it, not when I am out of the studio.[water supply will come from the house underground. Can't use a hose because it will freeze]

TJR.

If you have water run to shop I'd suggest a small electric on demand water heater-You can get them for under 200$

like this one http://www.amazon.com/Rheem-RTE-13-Electric-Tankless/dp/B003UHUSGQ

These heaters are very small and only heat when you turn on faucet.All you need is the wire the thing up and pass a cold water supply thru it.

Reem is a better brand but others are less cost. Buried water pipe is easy and cheap to do.

I just use a pan and put it on gas heater for warm water for throwing but I also live in milder climate

Mark

I was going to suggest an electric hot plate (cheap) for hot water (also provides humidity when you need that) once you have an in studio water supply, but I see there are other suggestions of equal merit.

On the painting the concrete floor. You may not need the floor painted, but I would strongly suggest that you at least get it sealed. My studio is in my basement level, which has concrete that is neither painted or sealed, and it creates dust (observed before it was a clay studio), and will be harder to wet clean with a mop unless it is steel troweled to a shine (not likely in a home situation.) Part of my basement was painted near my garage entry, and it sweeps and mops up far easier than the plain portion.

John

When setting up my new studio in 2005, I made sure there would be running water (toilet, basin and work sink) and because of our cold winters I wanted running hot water. I was unwilling to set aside space for a water heater nor did I want to be keeping water hot when it wasn't being used. I put in a small in-line, on-demand water heater. It's enough to take the chill off on the coldest days, and doesn't have to be used in the summer. I wish they had only cost $200 back then, it was about twice that plus the electrician had to run a 220 line, and a plumber to connect the water correctly. If you purchase one, make sure the wiring is correct, and that it will provide water at a temp that suits you. The heaters range from warm for hand washing, to hot enough to make instant coffee or tea. The latter is much too hot for skin.

If you have to have installation done by professionals--as I did--see how close the electrician/plumber comes to the price you'd have to pay. Let them know you're aware of the retail price and they may cut you a deal because they'll make money off the installation (and they have to warranty the product after installation).

I've done my years without running water, and will tell you that if you can afford to have a water line run to your studio (trenched to proper depth), do it. It will save you time and ultimately money to have it done before you get settlled into the studio. The heck with a work sink--put in a toilet and basin! Think of the time you'll save.

Guest JBaymore

I moved this up here to this section from the "Clay Events" section.... it fits better and will get seen more by people that might have some input here.

best,

..................john

Archived