Art Nouveau

I have an  obvious Art Nouveau ? Austrian  ceramic pot the   body glazed  after underglaze  the base however 

has the underglaze  colour but  remains unglazed.The body has applied uncoloured figures 

Why should his the base have been painted but never glazed

Hi London!

Can you post a pot pic?

Typically the part the pot sits on is left unglazed, else the pot stick to the kiln shelf when glaze fired; from there, the glazed/unglazed margin may be higher up the side of the pot - that's up to the potter, eh? Although I'll typically glaze to a "natural break" (e.g. the edge of the foot, a ring/groove that I turned whilst trimming, etc.) near the foot of the pot, sometimes I like to leave a broad band of raw clay, especially toasty (non-white) clays; from there, I typically highlight any carving/chattering with glaze or underglaze as well, with or without a glaze over that.

Thanks thats kind. I have done some amateur potting  so I understand - So when as here there is just streaks colour on the unglazed base but no sign of kiln cones  what can be the reason. BTW the delicate figures applied to the body are glazed but uncoloured.  I having problems sending pictures

If your phone cable will plug into your computer, typically files (such as photos!) can be copied from the phone - be sure to have your phone open/unlocked. From there, this site has a file size limit, hence you may have to snip the picture and save it in a smaller (e.g. .jpg) format...

that is a lovely piece of art pottery or better!   not at all what i imagined it to be.  you might check with antique dealers who specialize in ceramics.   since you are in london, try someone at the Victoria and Albert museum before you do anything to the vase.  keep us informed, please.

you have done so well with the photo, may we see the bottom if it has any markings?   a photo sent to the V&A might bring an answer, there must be an expert there.

33 minutes ago, oldlady said:

that is a lovely piece of art pottery or better!   not at all what i imagined it to be.  you might check with antique dealers who specialize in ceramics.   since you are in london, try someone at the Victoria and Albert museum before you do anything to the vase.  keep us informed, please.

you have done so well with the photo, may we see the bottom if it has any markings?   a photo sent to the V&A might bring an answer, there must be an expert there.

The mark is indescifrable = I will try the V and A  I have scoured the internet without finding  anything  close the form is like Amphora - Austrian art nouveau .

I would love a  confident  attribution 

Thanks 

it appears to be made from marbled clay.  i wonder if it might have been a trial piece for a factory.   the series of numbers might indicate various tests or steps in manufacturing it.  

it really is beautiful just the way it is.

Archived