8 replies to this topic

#1 Bill T.

Bill T.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGilmer, Texas

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

I would like to fire with slow cool 2 pieces with Randy's Red (using special RIO) and several more glazed with various Amaco Potters Choice layered. Should a slow cool affect the Amaco glaze? I'm using a variation of MC6 cooling cycle that also cools from 1800F to 900F. I did a test last week with Randy's on a normal firing cycle and it turned out pretty nice. Just would like to get a little more red. BTW also put a wash of RIO over the glaze. Anxious to see what happens.

#2 Laura A Strike

Laura A Strike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIrving,Texas

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Sounds interesting, send pictures. How big is your kiln?

#3 Bill T.

Bill T.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGilmer, Texas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

I would like to fire with slow cool 2 pieces with Randy's Red (using special RIO) and several more glazed with various Amaco Potters Choice layered. Should a slow cool affect the Amaco glaze? I'm using a variation of MC6 cooling cycle that also cools from 1800F to 900F. I did a test last week with Randy's on a normal firing cycle and it turned out pretty nice. Just would like to get a little more red. BTW also put a wash of RIO over the glaze. Anxious to see what happens.

#4 Bill T.

Bill T.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGilmer, Texas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

I'll answer my own question. Success!!! This was my first firing with Randy's Red (see pic) Three heavy coats and a brush coat of RIO (special) mixed with water. The Potters Choice glazes did well also. A little more running where overlapped, but I had brushed pretty heavy for the second glaze. Firebrick overlapped with Lustous Jade on the goblets (a bad picture) Iron Lustre with a touch of Firebrick on the edge. Cone 6 hold 15 with slow cooling from 1800-1300 then slow till 900. Dont' think I need this much cooling next time. Will try slow 1800 - 1300. Firing took 17 hr.

(next time I'll make the pics smaller, still learning)

Attached Files

#5 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

I am truly likeing that coffe cup. I am working on fine tuning my cooling also. Would you mind giving more info as to what you call 'slow' from 180* to 1300* and then 'slow' to 900* That is a long glaze firing. I drop 500*/hr from peak ^6, down to 1800* soak for 20 minutes,, then 125*/hr to 1650* then off.
I am using the MC6 glazes and getting good results except for reds.

#6 smokin pots

smokin pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Two thumbs up on the glazing!!!Posted Image
juli
la paloma texas pottery

#7 Prokopp

Prokopp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

The coffee cup's not doing it for me... the bowl is nice, though. Keep it up!

#8 Bill T.

Bill T.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGilmer, Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

The coffee cup's not doing it for me... the bowl is nice, though. Keep it up!

I call it a soup mug or chili mug. My coffee cup is whatever cast off cup(read just before I take a hammer to it) I have handy.

#9 Joanie

Joanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRockport, Texas

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

They look very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users