Air purifiers

Dawnf

I’ve looked through the threads here and I can only find some pretty old ones about air purifiers/cleaners. There seem to be some pretty good air filters out now that are floor models and about 1/2 the price of the Bailey ceiling/wall mounted units. One I’m looking at in particular is the AUSTIN air health mate plus. The filtration is as follows.

• True medical grade HEPA filter removes 99.97% of all particles larger than 0.3 microns; over 780 cubic inches of activated carbon impregnated with potassium iodide and zeolite filtration removes odors, gases and chemicals including formaldehyde and benzene. 
  • Has anyone used these floor hepa  filters? Any recommendations? Thoughts?  Just trying to eliminate even more dust and particulates. 
  • Thank you 

Hi Dawn!

There's a few threads here somewhar with extensive discussion on air handling; Mark C. has some good takes on the subject. See "Dust Collection For Small Studio" ...try search strings "hepa" and/or "air and dust and Mark"

At home/hobby level (where I am - there aren' tons o' clay moving through my studio), keeping the dry clay cleaned up, err, before it dries is key, also not agitating dry clay (especially steppin' on it), no sanding (inside), monitoring dust accumulation (wipe that down!), no fans ...my opinion

Welcome to the forum. I would contact OSHA and ask about the particular make and model of machine you are looking at plus info about size of room etc. Sounds like they are using a P100 filter which is the highest rating for personal protection. OSHA phone number 1-800-321-OSHA (6742) Like others have said the air filter is the last resort.

Thank you all for the input!! I felt like i was keeping a clean studio and still getting dust, therefore looking for a filtration system as well... but I’ll just have to be more dilligent, thorough  and to do better to not allow it to get in the air in the first place.  If I do end up getting a secondary filtration anyway I’ll let you know how it works. Thank you!!

This filter you are looking at is not what you want

Several things wrong-1st is it a ground unit.

The whole idea of most filters is they create flow in a space-Thats why they hang from rafters/ceiling

Most are hung so they push air thru and create a flow thru, this is more like a drain sucking in -dumping to the ground which stirs more dust up.

Second the filters get  clogged pretty fast so at over $200 a replacement thats going to kill your pocket book fast

I have written some posts on this subject -you will have to use the main page and from there go to the search function 

I have adapted a ceiling  filter unit made by Jet they also are made by Delta tools which  you can use way cheaper hepa filters. They are 12x24 size.

You will have to adapt the filters to the units -tape or a metal collar whatever you come up with. I like a cheaper pre filter for the larger particles in front then the hepa then another filter -then the larger 5 micron bag that fits inside unit. This gets it all and is cheaper to change out the 1st 2 filters-the cheap one then the hepa.

Find my pots on this-the baileys are just way to overprice for less than what I described -also consider the filter replacement costs over the long haul .

The filter is just a fan sucking in air and either pulling it or pushing it thru a filter which needs to get changed often

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Hobbyist here with a follow up question on this...

I have a garage studio in Oakland California.  The air quality here has been an issue with the wildfires and it's meant that the air has been unhealthy in my studio due to environmental factors (in addition to silica from my pottery).  

I keep the studio very clean and only wet clean but was considering getting the Austin Air Healthmate to help clean the air from pollutants and also from silica.   Would something like this work or do I need to go as far as Mark C. with a ceiling filter unit?  I'll be honest, I'm hoping for a more simplified solution!  

Many thanks.

22 minutes ago, lilbully said:

Hi All,

Hobbyist here with a follow up question on this...

I have a garage studio in Oakland California.  The air quality here has been an issue with the wildfires and it's meant that the air has been unhealthy in my studio due to environmental factors (in addition to silica from my pottery).  

I keep the studio very clean and only wet clean but was considering getting the Austin Air Healthmate to help clean the air from pollutants and also from silica.   Would something like this work or do I need to go as far as Mark C. with a ceiling filter unit?  I'll be honest, I'm hoping for a more simplified solution!  

Many thanks.

As long as it's not stirring up more dust than it's filtering!  It has a hepa filter which is nice, make sure it has some kind of prefilter though because the larger clay particles will clog the hepa quicker and the replacement filters for hepa are pricy

Those Austin Air Healthmate  cost about double than  the system I have (filters under $40) whole delta or jet unit is under $400.

The Austin Air Healthmate  is a home unit not an industrial unit it look like.

Wet cleaning for hobbist is enough I would say

4 hours ago, lilbully said:

Would something like this work or do I need to go as far as Mark C. with a ceiling filter unit?  I'll be honest, I'm hoping for a more simplified solution!  

The Austin air is rated well. HEPA with prefilter, and activated carbon for odors. Most ground based units take air in low (positionally) and discharge high at a fairly low velocity to help with the potential to agitate and distribute dust on the floor. They work, and will improve your air quality. I mention the low high velocity thing because real design thought and testing goes into them. Using a furnace filter, depending on rating may help but likely benefits a whole bunch from thinking like an engineer. Furnace filters have merv ratings which is their minimum effectiveness. HEPA is in the merv 16 range but merv 16 does not mean true HEPA.

There is a saying in the HVAC industry for spun glass prefilters (very cheap filters) we say they stop small rocks and birds. In other words not designed to catch much. Really cheap furnace filters (Merv 1-3 let’s say) don’t filter a whole bunch.

MERV chart http://www.mechreps.com/PDF/Merv_Rating_Chart.pdf

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

There is a saying in the HVAC industry for spun glass prefilters (very cheap filters) we say they stop small rocks and birds. In other words not designed to catch much. Really cheap furnace filters (Merv 1-3 let’s say) don’t filter a whole bunch.

People say they're using the allergen level furnace filters with the box fans, the expensive 3M ones, for the fire pollution.

50 minutes ago, neilestrick said:
2 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

People say they're using the allergen level furnace filters with the box fans, the expensive 3M ones, for the fire pollution.

Hopefully MERV 9 minimum,  13 - 16 would be better. Should say right on the package though. The chart hopefully is helpful.

Archived