Drying Out Blocks of Clay

DirtRoads

What is the best way?  Some clay is just too wet.  I've currently ordering #7 hardness.  I was told Laguna clay is normally 6.0 to 6.5 hardness.   The #7 is still too wet.   My April order will be 7.5.    But .. .need to use up some of this wet clay.   We keep pushing the wetter clay back .....

Do you just open bag and dry straight up or laying sideways?  Do you turn the blocks of clay?   Or do you slice the clay  to let it dry?   (we slice a 25 lb block in 3 long pieces)   We dry on sheet rock or hobby board or a slab mat.     Currently we use about 500 pounds a week.  Running it through the pug mill to "dry it out" isn't an option I wish to pursue.

I want to know what is the best way to evenly dry blocks of clay.  We've tried all ways but I'm not really sure which gives the most even drying?

If you have access to a pugmill; run the wet clay through your mill, make your slugs about 14-18" long, and stand them on end around the studio for a couple of hours or until desired dryness. Being in that smaller 3" diameter you'll get more even drying than if you left it in its full block shape. Run back through pug mill to blend and bob's your uncle.

You could go through and rotate the blocks like you suggest, but that just seems like a lot of un-necessary touching and manipulation. Wasting your time and energy just to dry out clay is nonsensical IMO....do as little as you have to.

The "best" way to evenly dry out clay is going to depend on so many factors that this will be more of a trial and error deal. A fan blowing on them might skin them over too quickly if they are too thick. Sitting in the sun might do the same. Too thin and they may dry out too much on you, too thick and it may take forever.

• 1 month later...

Finally ... got the 7.5 clay from Laguna.    It's perfect.     I do have a pug mill (Bailey) that is terrific.  BUT ... running 2000 lbs a month through it is just too much trouble.  We use the pug mill for scraps.    We had been slicing up clay the night before and most of the time it was okay.  But this 7.5 is perfect for what I need.     Not sure how how their scale goes but the "normal" batch is 6.0 to 6.5.  They tested my "ideal" clay I sent them and thought 6.5 to 7.0 would be right.  But this 7.5 is perfect.     I never knew about this as an available ordering option until recently.   

&.5 is pretty hard in porcelain

The standard now is 6.25 to 6.5 I order mine wetter at 6.

I just ordered 10 tons today of special order 6 Daves Porcelain 

If you are using for slab work than stiffer is better.I wheel  throw most of mine so softer is better for me.

The minimum amount for these special orders is 1 ton.

My clay is Laguna #60 (stoneware) and yes I mostly do slab, with a lot of imprinted patterns and such.    In here making now .. loving the 7.5.  I have a standing order for 1 ton a month.     We used to get 2800 pounds every 5 to 6 weeks but you have to do an even 2000 for this special order.  (for some reason we only got 1800 pounds today though)

On 4/6/2019 at 12:48 AM, DirtRoads said:

we only got 1800 pounds today though

I simply must say (as someone who orders 100 lbs. of clay just several times a year) I enjoy reading about folks in business and all that entails. I am glad that this site is so  welcoming of people at all levels and skills/experience.   Although I don't produce much, it is good to feel included, and to be able to learn so much (chemistry/kilns/techniques etc.)  however little I may put to use. 

On 4/9/2019 at 10:44 PM, LeeU said:

I simply must say (as someone who orders 100 lbs. of clay just several times a year) I enjoy reading about folks in business and all that entails. I am glad that this site is so  welcoming of people at all levels and skills/experience.   Although I don't produce much, it is good to feel included, and to be able to learn so much (chemistry/kilns/techniques etc.)  however little I may put to use. 

I think I'm more about quantity than quality in most of my work.       My pottery skill level is no where near most potters on the board.     My marketing & selling skills are what pushes my business.   I think you are way more than just "included" here.  You are someone I've watched really advance in skill and the type of work you put out.     And you share all of that with the community here.

I mentioned that 1800 lbs because they were SO insistent that you had to get 2000 to get the special order :)

Archived