#41 Red Rocks

Red Rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSedona, AZ

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

Just read through this whole, wonderful thread and want to add a little twist to the “Buy Local” concept. When Bernard Leach was throwing pots and blazing new trails – most everyone bought and ate local – no one marketed it and no one thought about it. We have come full circle and the buy local trend is a strong one and will be here for quite some time. It is also now a marketing strategy and viewed as a sustainability objective.

I used to travel to Portland, OR quite often and eventually lived there. The city was and is one of the national leaders in the buy local/slow foods movement. I watched it grow and participated quite willingly as a foodie and supporter.

I think this is a trend that we can and definitely should leverage. At its core it has an emotional appeal and many people buy on emotion. We can help make this happen at:
- The Potter’s Council / national level with marketing materials that we can all benefit from because of national purchasing power
- We can continue to use this forum to engage in this debate as well as share marketing ideas on how each of us are successfully selling to this trend
- We can create stronger local groups who use “buy local” in our combined as well as individual marketing plans

In marketing, timing is everything. We have an opportunity to ride this wave – let’s continue to share and help each other make it happen.

#42 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I put up a small sign at my last craft sale, "NOT Made in China." Sales were nearly double last year at same venue. People really responded. We, the potters, are a great alternative to imported junque, I plan to capitalize on the idea .

I will ask browsers if they would like to keep their $$$ at home instead of supporting another country. They say of course, we chat a while, they buy.:D

#43 Thomasclark

Thomasclark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:56 AM

I never heard about cafepress.com and now I think it’s not worthy too contemporary arts, sculptures, and clay art these are based on ceramic works and contradict with Idaho Potter.

#44 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

I am currently a resident artist in Vallauris, France. the town is full of potters and galleries. the current event is the XXII International Biennale. there is an excellent show of apanese contemporary ceramics in one museum here next to another larger museum with an international show there. here are four more shows in town related to the Biennale and a Japanese weekend coming in two weeks.
there is some obvious influence of Hamada and Leach but there are also some excited pieces by contemporary Japanese. Also many pieces by contemporary European and A few American ceramic Artists. There is both Sculpture and Fine ceramics. In the gallery down stairs there is a small plate show of mostly Japanese potters.
Marcia
From Vallauris where Picasso may have had more influence than Leach.

#45 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

From Vallauris where Picasso may have had more influence than Leach.

Lets hope so.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#46 Archie

Archie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

A great discussion. First off I would like to say that if you're creating pottery to make a lot of money,I highly recommend counselling :)
We need first establish why we make pots. I have come to it after many years of admiring vintage pottery. I have taken it up because I think about it when I should be thinking of other things, when I wake up in the night and best of all, when I have my hands deep in clay, and because there is nothing more magical then when I'm pulling up a wall and the stars align and the clay flows between my fingers like an ocean wave rising. I spent most of my life trying to make lots of money and I can tell you that it is a waste of a life. Make what you need to provide food, shelter and clothing and then make pots (or whatever your passion is) and spend time with friends and family and you will have a life well lived.
If your goal is to make more money then I would respectfully ask "how many pottery classes have you taken versus how many business classes have you taken?" Learn about business. Make what sells until your stomach is full and then make what you dream of in the night afterwords.
I want to thank all of the people who take the time to post their knowledge, create videos for me to watch and who support potters in any way, especially CAD.
Archie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users