Thought Id do a lil test

MMB

I was curious and had a handful of brass shavings. So mixed up some slip and commercial clear glaze with the shavings to see what would happen. I added mica to the slip, why? I dunno I just had some milled down that I thought I would throw in. So the slip tests...nothing melted. As for the glaze test everything melted into a nice green. I placed a thick coat on a slanted piece to see if the change would drip down more than normal. So being im uneducated with this test...is it the flux in the glaze that brought about this melting color affect? I mean I did fire to ^06 which is right in the brass melting range. I could understand the impurities show themselves down towards the bottom.

greenfl.jpg

Back in the day and I mean in 1970 in High school I put some brass shavings as you did in a cone 06 glaze and got a ok green glaze-I think that pot is still out in my shop and is a way lighter green-It does not have those burn out slag marks-I thing the amount of brass may be to high as well as The added mica also may be a contributer.

^06 is not my field for past 3 decades-I hope this helps

Mark

Archived