One-of-a-Kind Show Chicago

Anyone here done the One of a Kind show in Chicago in December? Deadline is in 3 days, and I'm torn as to whether or not it'll be worth doing. Some people do really well, but some folks I know say it's good but not worth the 6 days of your life. Booth fee is $2500 (that's not a typo), but I'm not worried about losing money. I'm mainly concerned that after 6 days I'll only have made a couple thousand. Not worth my time or worth abandoning my family for that much money. I'm thinking dinnerware orders could make it worthwhile. Thoughts?

i don't have nearly the experience to give my $.02, so i'll give my $.01. that booth fee is way too high. i personally would never do it. you're already having regret and you haven't even entered yet. my guess is that you'll be just as disappointed with the show as you would be going to a state fair and purchasing their new mop 4000. it probably isn't what it's cracked up to be.

• 2 months later...

This thread reminds me of the Craftsman who with two other guys who won the lottery.

The press interviewer asked the 1st guy a lawyer what are you going to do with your fortune?

He said He was buying a tropical isaland and living large there.

The next guy was a state worker and he answered that he was getting out of debt and buying a large mansion and retiring.

The Craftsman said he was going to do shows till the money ran out.

I always like this joke.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't some shows/events about getting the brand / name recognition out?

Some about art first or learning/updating .... money maybe never -

and some mostly for and about selling wares?

I don't know that much about business, but it seems to me that brand recognition is based on word of mouth. People buy your stuff, like it, and then tell others. Then, the others buy your stuff. And then, one day, in the mythical future, people by your stuff because it's you, and not really about the stuff anymore anyway. Well, I wouldn't hold out much hope for that by spending $2500 to go to a show where people won't buy enough of your stuff to pay for the booth fee.

Archived