Bowl stuck to support ... oh my!

Here is a bowl just pulled from a Cone 6 firing.

I had supported it in another bowl form so it would not sag, but forgot to coat with kiln wash and of course the blue color fluxed and they are stuck together.<_<

Every place you can see navy blue is fluxed ... I've tried tapping it, gently trying to get under any small opening with no luck. Was thinking hot water on the bottom and ice cubes in the bowl???

Any other ideas welcomed before I do something brash!

post-1585-133055470684_thumb.jpg

post-1585-13305547167_thumb.jpg

post-1585-133055470684_thumb.jpg

post-1585-13305547167_thumb.jpg

I have had good luck with freezing pots in freezer and then warm/hot water on selected areas to separate them

You can tap with a wood handle while doing this-It may take several tries

You can freeze them all then invert with hot water on bowl backside running in sink

Then freeze again and try filling inner bowl only right side up with super hot water and leave outer bowl cold.

I can usually get all stuck lids off this way.

As a last ditch snap the outer bowl to free the inner-Depending if the freeze doe not work.

Mark

Here is a bowl just pulled from a Cone 6 firing.

I had supported it in another bowl form so it would not sag, but forgot to coat with kiln wash and of course the blue color fluxed and they are stuck together.<_<

Every place you can see navy blue is fluxed ... I've tried tapping it, gently trying to get under any small opening with no luck. Was thinking hot water on the bottom and ice cubes in the bowl???

Any other ideas welcomed before I do something brash!

When I first saw it I thought that it was meant to be that way. Hmmm almost makes me think of reglazing it over the edges, refiring and leaving it be. Other wise I would try soaking it in water-drying off the surfces, and freezing it in for a few days to see if the expanded water to ice frees it up.

Guest JBaymore

My code is one of Mario Andretti's sayings .... If everything appears to be under control you are not going fast enough!

Great quote Chris!!!!!! I'm gonna' steal it. wink.gif

best,

............................john

Guest JBaymore

If that does not do it CHris.... try this:

Turn it upside down. Support the two of them on the spread tips of your fingers located on the colored clay bowl part. Then try tapping the underneath bigger bowl with a wooden tool and making it "ring". Do this repeatedly for a LOT of hits. Over and over and over.

The HOPE would be that the vibrations you are setting up will slowly "fracture" the very slight layer of tiny micro-globules of glassy phase material that is actually attaching the two together.

Slow and easy.

best,

.....................john

Hi Chris hope your bowl comes loose. Has any one tryed putting some other type of expanding material under a lid or whatever. I do not know of a product but as a carpenter I worked with MDF a lot for trimming houses out. It is sort of a pressed paper powder that they pass off as wood. Paints well but is worthless if you get it wet. a 3/4 piece of it will swell up double if it sets in some water. What would happen if some material that absorbs water like MDF powder (sawdust) was put under the bowl and allowed to swell? would it produce enough force to break it loose? has any one tried it. Beautiful design hope you can save it. Kabe

Weren't you going for that look? It looks great as it is. Sometimes an accident isn't really an accident but another way to achieve what you were going for. Isn't this similar to what you wanted to do. Maybe next time you can construct the two pieces as one.

Madmudder, as for mistakes everybody makes them. If anyone says they don't make any, just wait.

No joy!

It is just way too fluxed in too many places ... The bowl it is now permanently displayed in is just an awful mold form that has been fired a dozen times ... Will now be used during workshops as a 'what not to do' lesson.

And as an added bonus I learned how to separate two part epoxy after it has permanently set on something you forgot about while you were trying to get a bowl out of a bowl ......

Can't wait to see what happens next! :P

No joy!

It is just way too fluxed in too many places ... The bowl it is now permanently displayed in is just an awful mold form that has been fired a dozen times ... Will now be used during workshops as a 'what not to do' lesson.

And as an added bonus I learned how to separate two part epoxy after it has permanently set on something you forgot about while you were trying to get a bowl out of a bowl ......

Can't wait to see what happens next! :P

Studio moments, One discovery to the next some happy some not so, but always forward-heh!

Archived