Qotw: How much do you think you spent setting up your own studio?

36 minutes ago, Min said:

Agreed it could be a daunting question to answer. In another thread it was brought up that this isn't a cheap hobby or job to get setup in to the point of being self sufficient so I thought it would be interesting to see where people have spent money. Hopefully this thread will give new potters a realistic idea of the costs involved.  I too forgot to add things to my list, spraybooth (built from mostly scrounged materials) and a compressor (bought used), spray guns. 

I think it’s one of those things that you can get started with a few small things for simple projects, but the more you learn and want to specialize, the more you wind up spending. That can be said about a lot of activities that can be either a hobby or a job. 

I got a cragslist deal from a lady that no longer had time to do pottery, a small kiln with furniture, electric wheel, a little slab roller, bats, lots of tools, some glazes, kiln wash, slips, etc... all for a grand. Wire, breaker and plug were 120 and I built a work table for about 100, bought some more bats and a few other tools, pyrometric cones from my local studio, around 300 for glazes, 400 for the kiln vent, a bunch of food buckets for 1 each, stool for 30. Less than 2500 all in, doesn't include all my clay, classes and studio rental though....dang, Iv'e spent a lot in 9 months!

My wife and I are now considering building a nice 1500sf studio behind our house though, that would be pushing 100k... 

Not sure I want to know the total I have spent on my clay obsession.

paragon super dragon $8500.00   6.5CF $3400.00, 2 smaller test kilns. 30" Northstar slab roller, Northstar extruder ( which I never use). 

Built my own shelves, drying racks. PP SS20 pugger. 2 tons of dry clays, spars, silica, Frits, zinc. 25lbs. V-gum T (ouch)

silver nitrate, neodymium, holmium, a few other rare earths. Usual and customary glaze chemicals. 40lbs. Of various body stains. (Colored porcelain) 

of course my collection of white porcelain toilets that I salvaged from remodels : gutted, stripped, and ready to refire. Got this idea:)

T

1 hour ago, glazenerd said:

Not sure I want to know the total I have spent on my clay obsession.

paragon super dragon $8500.00   6.5CF $3400.00, 2 smaller test kilns. 30" Northstar slab roller, Northstar extruder ( which I never use). 

Built my own shelves, drying racks. PP SS20 pugger. 2 tons of dry clays, spars, silica, Frits, zinc. 25lbs. V-gum T (ouch)

silver nitrate, neodymium, holmium, a few other rare earths. Usual and customary glaze chemicals. 40lbs. Of various body stains. (Colored porcelain) 

of course my collection of white porcelain toilets that I salvaged from remodels : gutted, stripped, and ready to refire. Got this idea:)

T

Wow a super dragon!  Want a roommate? :P

When I opened my shop, I spent about $45,000. $20,000 went to the gas kiln- bricks, steel, burners, venting, gas line, etc. The rest all went toward inventory (tools, kilns, and equipment), wheels for the classroom, building improvements, lease, licenses and legal fees, etc. Had I started the way my business is now set up, I could have spent half that much. But things change, and you have to adapt.

I think a nice home studio, fully equipped with a vented kiln, wheel, tools, shelving, raw materials for glazes, clay, etc. could be done for $8,000.

• Pres unpinned this topic
  • Pres unfeatured this topic

Archived