Commercial Slip

Christine

Hello everyone

I recently bought some ready-made casting slip which I'm using with home-made plaster moulds to cast a series of boxes. Even though the slip was incredibly cheap (main reason for the purchase!), old habits die hard and I'm recycling the pour-off from the moulds back into the slip bucket and am noticing that the mix is getting thicker - maybe an obvious thing when I think about it, but my question is this:

Shall I add water to the slip to bring it back to what looks like the correct consistency? Can I keep doing this - there'll be at least half the original quantity left when I've finished this current project

I have only ever made my own casting slip in the past - in comparatively very small quantities and to a fairly concise recipe. Will my adding water upset the chemistry? and will it matter?

Thanks in advance for any advice and opinions - I'm so grateful to belong to such a supportive and interesting forum

Christine

Hi, Christine,

I've done cast ceramics before and had a pouring table, etc. Ideally, you should have a viscosity cup to check the slip for consistency/viscosity. I have always added water to get the correct viscosity and have never had an issue. All the ceramic studios that I know of that pour greenware also do the same. So, no issue that I'm aware of.

Archived