Getting rid of my switches

Johnmicheal

I have an Olympic 2327  1phase 240. After many years of manually firing, I have bought an electrositter to replace the kiln sitter. One of my reasons for going in this direction, other than the obvious improvement in control, is I'm tired of replacing switches.

My question is, what is the most efficient way to eliminate the three manual switches. Wiring diagram would be appreciated, I am a visual type of person. I have good idea of what's needed. I thought I would gather as much info as possible.

Call Olympic. I'm not comfortable saying how to do it, because there are some variables that we don't know. Basically, the elements will connect directly to the sitter instead of going through the switches, but how they connect will depend on if the elements are wired in series or parallel. Typically for a kiln that size they are wired in parallel, but you never know. You'll also need some additional insulated wire for jumpers. And if you've got crimp connectors where the feeder wires attach to the elements, that's another issue because you can't just disconnect them, and splicing is not a good idea. Olympic will be able to tell you the best way to do it.

Thanks Neil, I sent an email to Olympic a couple of weeks ago, but never got a response. I can't imagine this is an unusual request. These switches are only getting cheaper in there quality and more expensive. Funny enough though, the last switches I bought were from Mexico, and they look to be of a better quality, but time will tell. I figured while I had the box apart I would simplify thing' s a bit lol. I'll give them a call this week, I'll let you know what they say, and if I'm able to make the change, follow up with some info and pictures.

I have response from Olympic to my query

have attached a diagram for you to follow, it will be the same for each switch.   You can use the hard yellow wire nuts to connect the wires together. 

The L1 and L2 are the input power wires into the switch from the back of your electrositter.   You will disconnect them from the switch and remove the slip on connectors.   Connect L1 to the two single element lead wires on the switch using wire nuts.  Then connect L2 to the double lead wires.  This will allow you to use the existing wires to create the same circuit without the switches.

Screenshot_20190117-165544.png

Archived