JS:

are the various parts of this piece uniform ( or nearly) in thickness? From what I can see, it looks to have some wide variations?  Personally I would fire this piece on a slow speed. It will need the extra time to insure that heat work is uniform as possible. Secondly I would put sand under it so it can move. You have a fair amount of weight bearing down on a small foot print. At certain temps clay goes through some significant changes that puts larger pieces under enough stress to crack them.  ( search quartz inversion)  I would avoid brown, dark, or red clays until you have your own kiln. These darker bodies have high iron content, which requires its own firing schedule. Until you have control over the firing, would be best to wait.  Kudos on creativity.

Tom

4 hours ago, JSmithCanvasNClay said:

Liam, do you recommend any particular clay? I currently finishing up two types of cone6 clay, BMix and a brown that’s full of grog. I’ve been experimenting with underglaze, black washes, and touching up with acrylic. My goal is going for depth, muted colors, saving time and $...

How do you like the brown clay with grog?  If you like it more than b-mix, you can get bmix with grog too.  I don't usually recommend any clays, it's a personal thing... Kinda just have to try a few out and see which one works best for you.  Looks nice though, good work!

Archived