Find local studio for firing/glazing?

tia13

My class is ending but I want to continue to work at home until next class (March). However, I need to find a local studio willing to fire my work. I live in RI (near MA border) if anyone knows of a place or has general suggestions.

I suppose I could try to keep them leather hard, but afraid if they dry they may break.

Thanks

Hi-welcome.  First off, greenware is supposed to be thoroughly dry before firing, even for a bisque low fire. You don't fire leather hard clay---firing work that is not really-really dry can cause all sorts of problems for the kiln load and the kiln.  In terms of local firing opportunities, search around for public-access studios, but the standard policy is usually that the work needs to be made from their clay bodies and their glazes, for consistency/safety and to protect other work that is in the kiln. You might search for a potters guild within traveling distance that might offer kiln space (usually electric, wood, and/or gas) if you join the group.  Dues are usually modest.

2 hours ago, LeeU said:

Hi-welcome.  First off, greenware is supposed to be thoroughly dry before firing, even for a bisque low fire. You don't fire leather hard clay---firing work that is not really-really dry can cause all sorts of problems for the kiln load and the kiln

Hi LeeU,

Thank you for the reply.  I should have expanded on my leather dry comment. What I meant was to keep in that state until the next class (not 'til March) and fire/glaze then rather than letting them completely dry at home and worry about breakage in transport (a little less fragile leather hard).  I thought I might do this with a bit of moisture, plastic and regular checking.  That said, I would much rather have them done before that!  :D

I will keep your comments in mind about studios using their own clay/glazes and other suggestions. We used Standard ceramics 182 clay (I think) so maybe if I find a teaching studio they use similar.  I'll keep you posted and post some of my work -if it looks ok!

tia

If you insist on keeping them moist, you can make a simple damp box with a lidded storage container and a bag of Potters plaster. I'm still running an experiment with my damp box... I have had 2 cups in the box for just over 5 years. They are getting a little moldy and seem more fragile as time goes on. I think I'm waiting until they start to fall apart when I handle them.

JohnnyK

The place where I fire will not let us leave a piece that is leather hard. They don't want to store people's leather hard work until it is ready for the kiln.

I think you will have an easier time yourself finding a place to fire your work than anyone who doesn't know where you live.

transporting work before it is fired can be tricky but there is a way to do some preventative packing so when they are dry you have a chance.   whatever their shape, bowl like, flat slab, whatever, provide some thick , soft padding for the bottom of a box  that will contain one piece with lots of room all around it.  a slab of foam rubber or a cushion from a piece of furniture makes a good bottom layer.  if the item is round, make a nest for it out of a big terrycloth towel and put the item into the nest with lots of toweling all around it.  

if it is a flat piece, use foam and a nest with the terrycloth towel but only one layer under the slab and fold the rest so all 4 sides are padded just in case you hit the brakes on the drive there is protection for the slab if it slides toward the front.   i have done this several times and it does work.  it will be dry enough by march for the trip.

Archived