Stacked dinner set proportions

Beeme

Hi All, I was wondering if there are any recommendations on the proportions of foot ring sizes for a dinner plate set e.g. if you have a large 29cm dinner plate (per Robin Hopper's list), a 20cm side plate, a 25cm bowl etc - what size foot ring on each would be optimum for best stacking on the table and for a well proportioned, nested look when setting the table?

Obviously if I stack a 25cm bowl on a 20cm side plate then the foot ring of the bowl should be less than 20 cm to fit nicely on top but I guess I am wondering if there is some mathematical standard that recommends x% reduction in size through the stack to get nice proportions...

(is some mathematical standard that recommends x% reduction in size through the stack to get nice proportions...)

The foot needs to be under where the curve starts on plates and platters as he said in above post. I often on platters but another foot ring inside main foot ring to support the bottom so its does not touch down as porcelain likes to move at cone 11. Bowls are not as critical -but the sweet spot is visual

His drawing above shows the sweet spot for most bowls. Bowl forms vary a lot so a big low flatter bowl the foot should be more wide vs a tall narrow bowl with a smaller narrow foot.

There is no mathematical formulae-its more a visual formula and heres how it works . That looks and feels right or woo thats not right what a toad of a foot.

Making and placing good feet is a skill. I spent one year with a mentee working only on her feet-its takes time to find your foot. Mine are distinct. Mine have a drip edge that catches runny glaze-mine all  feel like they are made from the same potter even 40 year old ones.

I posted a plate foot last year use the search function to see it from main page.

Good luck on your feet 

Woodturners are a group which use a set of mathmatical proportions to measure their feet sizes like Ive never seen. You might find information from them, but they are just guidelines. If you are making a place setting which you intend to use, regularly, you're gonna want a wider, and more stable foot, unlike an "artful" place setting which might have tiny, elegant, flowing feet...make the pots look like they are floating. You can have plates where there is no trimmed/elevated foot, one where the foot is underneath where the plate shifts from the well(flat portion of plate) into the rim, or you can move it in or out depending on your aesthetic desires, and it would function well likely all three ways.

I like to trim a foot into my plates/platters; allows me to glaze trimmed bottom of plate and achieve uniform compression from my glaze (hard learned lesson). A plate with a wide/large rim, and a foot ring trimmed right where the shift from well/rim occurs will act as a pivot point and the rim will sag during the firing; you can plan on this and leave your rims a little "higher" than desired.

The feet on my bowls are never measured, or a ratio of some sort. They are a foot which is wide enough to make my bowl stable for regular use, but fits my aesthetic choices.

Get some graph paper and draw; this will help you greatly.

The shape of the foot is equally, if not more important than the location of the foot. Avoid sharp and thin feet. A good foot can make or break a pot; my feet and rims/lips are similarly sized; nice to have correlating design aspects.

Archived