Clay slip

Zain

Hi everyone 

sorry my question might be a bit silly, i just started working with clay :) i hope that is ok!

I used MFQ slip ( that i made)  on terracota, see the picture,

1) what cone should i do for buisque firing?

2) Can i use my underglaze colors ( discerption    on the box says can be used on green wear) should I expect any side effects for using the colors on green? 

Thanks 

B0D26B58-5208-407E-8D98-DBAD73F75F6A.jpeg

Some people bisque to cone 04 some cone 06. This will affect the porosity of your bisque ware and so the specific gravity of your glaze. Often direction given on clay box or from manufacturer

You can use under glaze on greens are, a term for totally unfired clay, nothing to do with the colour.

I usually use under glaze when pot is leatherhard or just after the slip has lost its sheen. Painting liquid onto a totally dried out pot can cause cracking of pot.

Bisquing the underglazed ware makes the underg laze decoration less likely to be spoiled in the glazing process.

Babs

• 2 weeks later...

You should be able to use your underglaze colors to decorate on your unglazed slip before firing. One thing I have found with painting white slip onto dark clay bodies is that what looks like a thick enough coating of slip when dry looks thinner after firing. If this is your first use of your slip, take note of how thickly it has been applied in your glazing notes. You should also make a few test tiles, applying the slip in various thicknesses, with and without underglazes, to have a better idea of what you'll need to do on future pieces.

Archived