reconstitute dip glazes

ladyremington

• 1 month later...

Container lids that don' have a gasket (e.g. rubber), or metal to metal (like a paint can) will "breathe" - where every exhalation includes water - to some degree.

I'm using plastic containers with snap on lids, hence checking density (specific gravity) is necessary, although storage out of the sun (and big temperature swings) helps a lot. 

I use any 5 gallon bucket and a screw on lid adaptor; I used to use the snap on style lids sold with most 5 gallon buckets, but got tired of them breaking, and the screw ons are better if the bucket gets knocked over. I also find it easier on my fingers to turn a lid with my palms, rather than pry with my finger tips, and bend/snap nails.

1 hour ago, ladyremington said:

I have used locking lid buckets, but they are not wide enough for dipping some things; that is why I changed to the storage containers.

The majority of my regular glazes are mixed in 30-55 gallon trashcans. For these, the only lids that work are the ones that come with them. Even if a batch of glaze takes me months to use up, by the end of the use, I maye have had to adjust the SP GR once or twice. Im pretty diligent about covering up my buckets when not in use, even for a few minutes. My studio is also not very "dry" atmosphere so maybe that helps me too.

Maybe store in airtight container and then decant into kittylitter tray for glazing plates and bigger bits.

I use a cereal container for dipping small plates  font need as much glaze and a wide mouthed jug for small bowls and mugs. Wok and kittylitter trays for bigger flatter pieces.

Glazes stored in air tight buckets on just the right height bench...saves lifting

Just saying.

1 hour ago, Babs said:

Maybe store in airtight container and then decant into kittylitter tray for glazing plates and bigger bits.

I use a cereal container for dipping small plates  font need as much glaze and a wide mouthed jug for small bowls and mugs. Wok and kittylitter trays for bigger flatter pieces.

Glazes stored in air tight buckets on just the right height bench...saves lifting

Just saying.

I like to do this, too. Two advantages: the piece being glazed can be dipped/covered evenly and, a smaller amount of glaze is needed so that last 1/4 bucket or small batch can be stretched out.

Archived