QotW:When, where, what, or who influenced you to begin your journey into pottery? If you care to share: what was it exactly about pottery that drew your interest?

Well, it's not all rehab ads, there's also arthritis and depression. :) 

Clay and throwing seem to be symbols of creativity that are tactile and don't require you to "draw a straight line." Most people won't really try it, but they admire it.

I think it's good that folks like JohhnyK were inspired to pot by Ghost and I'm sorry that it inspired some jerks to ogle. I didn't realize the depth of feeling it released in Real Potters to have their livelihoods made iconic.

I still love Patrick Swayze and Whoopie, so there's that.

Edited by Rae Reich
Wrong potter referenced

6 hours ago, Rae Reich said:

I think it's good that folks like JohhnyK were inspired to pot by Ghost and I'm sorry that it inspired some jerks to ogle. I didn't realize the depth of feeling it released in Real Potters to have their livelihoods made iconic.

I still love Patrick Swayze and Whoopie, so there's that.

I don't think it's because a movie made pottery iconic, I think it's because there's some kind of sensual overtone to the joke that comes with it.  I don't even tell people I make pottery anymore because of it, even though it's a large part of my daily life.  I get "ooo lah lah, like in ghost?" With winks and rapid eyebrow raises.  I don't know what happens in ghost, but just from people's reactions there must have been something smutty or something.  Makes me feel gross and uncomfortable.

In JC I was immediately drawn to the feel of the clay, the tactile 'quality', and the process. I liked how I could manipulate clay into a 3D 'something'.

The relative immediacy made the effort rewarding in itself. Having endured painting and drawing, clay was actual fun.

I still feel the same way to this day.

Having said that, I was later drawn to glassblowing like a moth to...talk about immediacy!

5 hours ago, Rex Johnson said:

I knew it!  Mark you are the consummate NorCal hippy potter ;)

I'd never guessed you were from Long Beach though.

Glad the craft life has been good to you.

I had very long hair until the early 80s-Being raised in turbulent times(60's)We set out to change the world-my part is with clay.I have had a beard since 18-only have shaved twice in my life.Not much of a hippy since 81-more a worker bee-my midwestern parents work drive kicked in as I grew up.

My Long Beach years where 53-71 minus almost one year in Nashua New Hampshire when I was 15 (ran away with a girl-long story but I have a New Hampshire soc security number from my 1st job working for 6 months in a cemetery .Brutal outside labor job from frozen to beyond  humid.That climate is like a rath much of the year.

Edited by Mark C.

After reading through the responses for the second time I noticed a trend: " when I touched" or " felt the clay" I was hooked. Sensory beings that we are. 

Knowing what I know now about clay- my response to the Ghost throwing scene:   Ease up on the water lady, it's going to slump.

Tom

"Having grown up on the mean streets of NYC, I had never seen a potter's wheel, never touched clay" until I was 43 for seeing a potter's wheel and about 61 for the clay touching. I am seriously surprised that literally most of the people that I talk to, when they hear that I'm a potter, tell me that they took a ceramics class in high school, including many of you. I guess it's a West Coast thing...

I've never been asked about or heard a comment about "Ghost". I guess I just associate with a different group of people or I just haven't been doing this long enough to get the winks and nods that a few of you have. I didn't realize that this would set off such a firestorm of comments. It's been a fun ride...

For those who are interested and haven't seen the clip you can go to YouTube, search: Ghost pottery scene Hold Me Close. You're supposed to focus on the clay...

JohnnyK

• Pres unpinned this topic