What I learned this weekend -WoW!

I did not set out to learn any thing, I simply planned on getting a whole lot of these little handbuilt thingies done in preperation for the spring shows.

I figure I knew how to do these thingies, they are a bit persnickity but sell very well. So, I get all the peices and parts ready and figure, instead of doing 1 dozen and then starting over with cutting peices and parts, I would cut MANY pieces and parts, wrap them in plastic and make them as I got to it..

I had prepped materials for 40 thingies. Some good tunes and a hot drink and I went to work, plugging along. The usual picky little issues with this form, a lot of handling to get the look right. Well, about #20, which was more than I had ever done at a stretch, I suddenly FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO THEM!

wow, they got much better quickly and easier to do. I'm very pleased with myself and 'feeling like a potter"

Very pleased with me, I covered materials and went to bed. Today, I went back to the studio prepared for more wonderfullness, and I'm working along, very smug, thinking # 20 is where I figure out things. Aren't I smart ? When all of a sudden , at about #35, OMG! I figure out how to do them all over again!

Then at # 37, I make another major leap in ability and efficiency. Wait a minute, at # 40 , it happens again!!

The first 20 are what I usually make, and what I have been satisfied with. But the next 15 are noticably better and were quicker to make with less fiddling, but the last 4 are EXCELLENT. When I ran out of materials and time, I had an idea for getting even more efficient and better looking with less struggle. That's for the next 40, can't wait.

If I had approached the 40 pieces in my usual way, a dozen or so prepped and then the next dozen that afternoon, next sitting, I would never have figure out how to really make these thingies and now they can be an efficient part of my work that is easier to make and still sell very well, thus improving my bottom line and I will really think I am a potter.cool.gif

Not bragging at all, just amazed at what happened. I'm not sure why it happened, Ive made these things many times, just not all at one sitting. Did it take that long for my brain to figure out a better way?

I did not set out to learn any thing, I simply planned on getting a whole lot of these little handbuilt thingies done in preperation for the spring shows.

I figure I knew how to do these thingies, they are a bit persnickity but sell very well. So, I get all the peices and parts ready and figure, instead of doing 1 dozen and then starting over with cutting peices and parts, I would cut MANY pieces and parts, wrap them in plastic and make them as I got to it..

I had prepped materials for 40 thingies. Some good tunes and a hot drink and I went to work, plugging along. The usual picky little issues with this form, a lot of handling to get the look right. Well, about #20, which was more than I had ever done at a stretch, I suddenly FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO THEM!

wow, they got much better quickly and easier to do. I'm very pleased with myself and 'feeling like a potter"

Very pleased with me, I covered materials and went to bed. Today, I went back to the studio prepared for more wonderfullness, and I'm working along, very smug, thinking # 20 is where I figure out things. Aren't I smart ? When all of a sudden , at about #35, OMG! I figure out how to do them all over again!

Then at # 37, I make another major leap in ability and efficiency. Wait a minute, at # 40 , it happens again!!

The first 20 are what I usually make, and what I have been satisfied with. But the next 15 are noticably better and were quicker to make with less fiddling, but the last 4 are EXCELLENT. When I ran out of materials and time, I had an idea for getting even more efficient and better looking with less struggle. That's for the next 40, can't wait.

If I had approached the 40 pieces in my usual way, a dozen or so prepped and then the next dozen that afternoon, next sitting, I would never have figure out how to really make these thingies and now they can be an efficient part of my work that is easier to make and still sell very well, thus improving my bottom line and I will really think I am a potter.cool.gif

Not bragging at all, just amazed at what happened. I'm not sure why it happened, Ive made these things many times, just not all at one sitting. Did it take that long for my brain to figure out a better way?

Dear ClayLover,

I am very much like you in that I do small batches of work. I found your post most inspiring. I could hear your excitement in going through the wall that many beginning potters reach in trying to produce the exact same thing repeatedly. It is hard.

I think you do have the key though and that is repeated practice.

Another thing I learned by John Sprague on a You Tube the other day was to try to consistently use the same clay. I tend to jump all over in the excitement of new bodies but I am not sure that is the best. He said "you need to learn what one clay body will do so you can understand and be sensitive to what it will and will not do."

Anyway, well done!!!

Nelly

What is so cool to me is that I thought I knew what I needed to know about making them. I've made lots of them but not in such a series as this. I didn't know what I didn't know untill I suddenly knew it.blink.gif And it was WAY into it that the change came.

Makes me wonder if the other forms I'm more comfortable with would have the same WOW if I did more at a time?

HMMMMMM......?

What is so cool to me is that I thought I knew what I needed to know about making them. I've made lots of them but not in such a series as this. I didn't know what I didn't know untill I suddenly knew it.blink.gif And it was WAY into it that the change came.

Makes me wonder if the other forms I'm more comfortable with would have the same WOW if I did more at a time?

HMMMMMM......?

Being able to simplify the process and increase your quality and efficiency often happens with mass producing a form. Years ago I had a lot of problems throwing off of the hump-simple cups and such would "S" crack. Obviously not enough compression. Along came a possible commission for 2000 vessels. These were to be like a small coffee mug-no handle. Not much money, but we negotiated a price, and I took a loss at tax time. Thing was the first 100 or so had numerous cracks. I tried all sorts of things, did a lot of reading, and then found a plausible solution in some texts about Japanese throwing off the hump. The next 300 had considerably less cracks-maybe 3-4 in the batch. By the end of the 2000 I was throwing with not a single crack in 500 pieces. Yeah lot of work, mindless in the end, but I learned how to do it.

Don't you just love it when this happens! Getting that "Ohhh!" moment and all clicks and you say to yourself "That is so much easier!".

Congratulations! Can't wait to see a picture of your little "thingies"!

Don't you just love it when this happens! Getting that "Ohhh!" moment and all clicks and you say to yourself "That is so much easier!".

Congratulations! Can't wait to see a picture of your little "thingies"!

Oh I'm so pleased someone else is as curious as me .... thingie pictures PLEASE!! .... and well done

Christine

Archived