figurative sculpture surface

MollyMac

I am working on figurative ceramic sculptures and would like to bisque them (08) since they are very fragile. Then I want to coat them so the effect is multiple thick layers of colored slips/engobe? I am using stoneware b clay with grog. I love the look that artists like Michele Gregor has, Debra Fritt....I assume that potters can help me understand the chemistry and what I CAN use to get this look. As I read, I am learning that I can color engobes with mason stain BUT I need to make sure the engobe recipe is right so that it will bond with the bisqued clay body? I have never made slip or engobe before. Yes, I'm a newb.

Hi CB!

I've used Speedball prepared underglazes on bisque ware - seems to work great! ...also glazes. 

Right you are, your colour has to play nice with bisqued clay; I don't have any tested* recipes for slips, engobes, underglazes to be used on bisque - perhaps others will chime in.

*there are recipes "out there" - I just haven't tried them . If time allows, test on same clay before applying to your sculptures.

Did you see the "about" page on Fritts website? She speaks of using oxides, slips, underglazes and glazes. In her video she mentions a little bit about her technique. If you want a recipe for an engobe for bisque you could start with the Daniel Rhodes one then start adding oxides or stains. I would start testing washes also.

Rhodes Engobe for cone 08 - 1 for bisque:

Kaolin 5

Ball clay  15

Calcined kaolin 20

Leadless frit  15 

Talc  15

Silica  20

Zirocopax  5

Borax  5

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks for the info, I did see he page, but to tell you the truth, I'm still a bit confused and learning more that I don't know! Her surfaces look thick and very natural which I like. She uses the mason stains I assume like watercolor....I don't know much about oxides except they can be toxic and used some in a class as a wash to bring out texture.  I see experiments in my future!

1 hour ago, ColorBaby said:

She uses the mason stains I assume like watercolor

Stains are usually mixed with some 3134 or 3124 frit (or gerstley borate) so they bond with the pot/sculpture. Anywhere from 50:50 (by volume) of frit to stain to 20:80, depends on the stain and the surface finish you are looking for. Yup, nonstop experimenting with ceramics, it never ends!

If you choose to mix stains with Gerstley borate, it makes them much easier to brush on, BUT it will also alter the finished colour of some of the green Mason stains. Not necessarily in a bad way, but just test ahead of time. If colour response is super important, a 1:1:1 (by volume) of stain, frit and EPK makes a rudimentary ceramic underglaze cake that brushes better than a straight frit:stain combo.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I just used my first ever batch of Stephenson's Slip/Engobe. over a bisqued piece. Used it pretty thick then saw that it was cracking so I thinned it. , it is bubbling!! Brush over and the bubbles come back!!Rubbing with green kitchen scrubber not helping, what on earth are these bubbles?? I bisqued the piece at 08 so it would stay pretty porous, b ut left it out in my studio for about a month.

bubbles.jpg

colorbaby, you can fill in the holes by rubbing the piece with your finger.   you will raise dust which you should NOT breathe.    do it outside or next to an open window with a fan blowing outward.   

this is where you learn about another thing a potter needs, a respirator.    a protective device for your lungs that you should wear when working with glazes especially.   several previous posts can be found on the forum.   hope you can find them.

next time you glaze wet all the pieces before beginning to apply the glaze.  allow them to dry enough to make the glaze stick but not too much or you are right back here again.  and apply your glaze evenly, unless you want the kind of lump that shows in the middle of your photo.

Archived