Pres

QotW: How do you feel about culture theft?

Hi folks, 

I just got wifi at HNL International airport. When I dropped this on to you I had hoped to generate some thought provoking discussion. I believe in that respect, mission accomplished. I do agree, that I was harsh with the use of Cultural Theft, but at the time, I could  not think of a better term at the time. Maybe Cultural misappropriation would fit the discussion better, but as discussion has shown with some supporting proofs there is an amount of proof here for theft. At the same time, while on the islands, I have seen how the Hawaiians are trying to return to their roots with more use of their language, arts and culture trying to move  away from Americanization.

Hope we have produced some thoughtful discourse.

Returning home to PA on Monday.

Aloha,

Pres

Unloaded a bisque Friday,  mixed up some test glazes yesterday and firing them today but nothing on my work table.  I am going to start putting my chemicals in new containers today,  my old containers were from a deli and they had potato salad in them.   The containers are still good but the lids are hard and brittle, I can't complain they lasted 40 years.   Denice

There was a great little display decades ago in the Smithsonian Museum of Industry of 6 plates of a similar size and similar (very similar ) motif manufactured in 6 different countries in Europe and Asia. I have no idea where the motif originated.

I wish that museum would reopen. I have been trying to revisit that display for a long time.

The Ultimate Culture Wars might be the pottery Wars between Korean and Japan.

Marcia