• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#41 kdavitt

kdavitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

I found my solution. Another kiln of another make.

#42 kdavitt

kdavitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

And you'd get a steady paycheck from them, dealing with all the problems. You'd probably get rich trying to solve their problems.  I've gone trough months of dissapointing firings and worked through all kinds of probabilities. My L&L now fires to 04, period. Let's stop this thread. I have nothing more to say and I don't want to hear any more. I heard all this from my tech guy and I still had to buy another kiln. But alls well in the world. Or is it?

#43 kdavitt

kdavitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Forgot to address a question. Of course it was copper wire, with a run of about 30 ft., Perfectly installed. That kiln comes with a plug attached. My new, Cone Art kiln is hardwired with # 4 copper, one 90 degree angle with a run of about 35 ft. box to junction box.

#44 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,442 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Sorry our attempts to assist you with your problems were of no use to you.

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#45 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm no kiln and/ or electrical expert, coincidentally I'm also no big city lawyer, but this discussion seems to be one side trying to refute technical advice, with anecdotal evidence.

I've personally used both Skutt and L&L kilns. I think they both work great, though I find the Skutts I've used to be easier to load. However, the first Skutt I used, went through two sets of elements, in the six years I used it. That's just odd, but I'm not about to say that kln sucks, because of that. Odds are, it was something I was doing. It's nearly impossible to judge an entire product model, by just one unit. There's always going to be some issues that pop up with some inits, in any series, those are just the odds.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#46 kdavitt

kdavitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

You have an interesting use of commas, Benzine. I asked the tech guy who works for L&L if it was possible to get a 'lemon' but he said it was not. Refuting technical advise with anecdotal evidence? How about with emperical evidence? I heard all this information and advice that JBaymore has been giving from my tech guy and his final advice was load the kiln to 3 shelves and buy their bigger production kiln. If others find the L&L to work great then  great. I didn't. I appreciate all the imput. Enough said, I think.

#47 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

Considering the ill feelings displayed here, I believe that closing this strand is in the best interest of the community. Each of us has their own opinions based on good and bad. Obviously kdavitt has theirs from a bad experience lending to their opinion. So be it, we all are entitled.  Nuff said!

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users