Jump to content
Georgia Landis

Looking to buy a pottery wheel for a beginner

Recommended Posts

Hello! I technically will consider myself a beginner, but I am looking to buy a used pottery wheel. I have used a pottery wheel roughly 25 years ago, and I’m sure many advancements have been made. I found one for sale locally, and below is the only info the lady is giving me. I’d like to know if this would be a good purchase. Thanks in advance!!

edit: I definitely prefer one that not a tabletop.

Not a brand on it anywhere.  It looks like a Brent.  It is solid, no problems.  I just don't use it.  I bought it in a buy out from a lady who was retiring in pottery.  I am selling the pieces that were in the buy out that I will not be keeping to use.  I have a gram scale and lots of chemicals as well.

 

 

813E9CA4-F691-4DA1-ACBC-D5CD0A951E99.jpeg

Edited by Georgia Landis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Georgia Landis said:

Hello! I technically will consider myself a beginner, but I am looking to buy a used pottery wheel. I have used a pottery wheel roughly 25 years ago, and I’m sure many advancements have been made. I found one for sale locally, and below is the only info the lady is giving me. I’d like to know if this would be a good purchase. Thanks in advance!!

edit: I definitely prefer one that not a tabletop.

Not a brand on it anywhere.  It looks like a Brent.  It is solid, no problems.  I just don't use it.  I bought it in a buy out from a lady who was retiring in pottery.  I am selling the pieces that were in the buy out that I will not be keeping to use.  I have a gram scale and lots of chemicals as well.

 

 

813E9CA4-F691-4DA1-ACBC-D5CD0A951E99.jpeg

I mean if you want a kickwheel, that works.  They're so heavy though, hard to move, take a ton of space up, etc.

The DC motor wheels are I guess the new technology. Which is still like what, 30+ years old?  I'll be getting one for my next wheel when my shimpo finally dies.  I would buy what you want, not settle for something because you're a beginnner or whatnot.  Nothing more frustrating while learning than fighting your equipment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

I mean if you want a kickwheel, that works.  They're so heavy though, hard to move, take a ton of space up, etc.

The DC motor wheels are I guess the new technology. Which is still like what, 30+ years old?  I'll be getting one for my next wheel when my shimpo finally dies.  I would buy what you want, not settle for something because you're a beginnner or whatnot.  Nothing more frustrating while learning than fighting your equipment.

Thank you! She’s willing to sell for 380. I definitely don’t want a beginner anything, I just have basically no knowledge of what to start with. I don’t think I need to buy the most expensive thing out there, but I’m willing to pay for quality. Do you have a specific recommendation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yikes, I wouldn't pay 380 dollars for an old kick wheel unless it was a motored lockerbie.  I'd hold out for something slightly more modern, you should be able to get an old Brent or shimpo for that much and not have to worry about hiring a team of people to move it for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely don't spend $380 on that. And if you've never thrown on a kick wheel, don't even consider it until you spend some time on one and see if it's something you really like. Good used wheels can be hard to come by. Most are really old and not so great. You don't want to spend $400 on a used wheel and then put $400 worth of repairs into it over the next few years. If I were you, I would start saving for a new wheel, but keep watching for used wheels in case something great comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2018 at 7:14 PM, Georgia Landis said:

Thank you! She’s willing to sell for 380. I definitely don’t want a beginner anything, I just have basically no knowledge of what to start with. I don’t think I need to buy the most expensive thing out there, but I’m willing to pay for quality. Do you have a specific recommendation? 

Any of the new wheels priced close to a grand are solid and reliable, Brent, Shimpo, Bailey, Skutt, etc...

I was saving for a Shimpo whisper until I found a deal on a used Bailey pro, either would have been fine for me and I like that they are quiet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...an' if you can test drive your choice(s), more the better.

I'd be willing to try a kickwheel, however, have been at th' age where any new thing I feel the next days for quite a while now, so, nah, electric foot pedal! I'm not seeing anything new/improved in wheels over the last several decades, fwiw; a few brands have come and gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

welcome to the forum.   do not let the above advice deter you from considering used equipment but do not buy that particular wheel.    no point in making it even harder to learn all you need to before you feel proficient.  if you are in a hurry and have the money, you will have your choice of new ones but,if you have some time, you will be able to find a good used wheel.  it does require a little time and some searching several possibilities. 

there are lots of people who will get new wheels for christmas presents, watch for their older ones being listed for sale.   know who your seller is, the child of a potter who has died, a potter replacing a wheel for a good reason, a school system getting rid of "old" equipment or one no longer offering classes and disposing of all their equipment. 

meanwhile, check online for pottery supply houses selling new equipment.  learn what features you might be interested in having long term.  read the older posts here about buying wheels, there are lots of them listed in many ways.   if you are in an area where potters offer open studio tours, visit some and ask questions, maybe you can even try a wheel somewhere. 

often, people who inherit pottery equipment know absolutely nothing about what they have.  educate yourself so you can help them see that just looking at the price of a new wheel and offering a used one for half of that is not the way to sell something so old and misused that it is not worth $10.   my wheel is old, purchased in 1972 but it is in excellent condition because i do not use it every day for hundreds of pots.  do some research first to save headaches later.   happy hunting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a couple of Shimpo whispers and love them. I also used a clay boss on loan for six months and thought it was fine and at $600 new is a bargain. A lot f studios I think use them for students:

 http://www.clay-king.com/pottery_wheels/speedball_pottery_wheels/speedball_clay_boss_pottery_wheel.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInpzZoY_A3gIViYWzCh2vSAHHEAQYBCABEgK7ovD_BwE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a 40+ year old Lockerbie several years back for my first wheel it set me back $150 and a couple of tumblers.  I used it religiously for a few years and it was a great wheel. Now I have a shimpo and like limbsaw said  my kick wheel is a giant paper weight in the corner of my studio. That being said it was a great wheel and still is. It’s nice to have if the power goes out. But I wouldn’t spend that much on that.  Maybe a couple hundred on an older Lockerbie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.