Sign in to follow this  
tomhumf

Kiln bricks as props

I need some short props for my next bisque firing. I was thinking of cutting some squares of soft kiln bricks as a temporary measure. There won't be much load on my little shelves. Will this cause any problems do you think? I know it's not a long term option with the fragile, dusty nature of them. 

Edited by tomhumf

As I am getting older my big Skutt was getting harder for me to unload and load so I decided to put in a false floor.   I filled the bottom with bricks from a kiln that I had taken apart,  I left my Skutt ventilation holes uncovered and then put a kiln shelf on top of them.    I haven't had any problems with dust in my glazes and it has been a couple of years since I did this.    I wouldn't put my glazed work right next to the cut off bricks.   I called Skutt when I did this and they didn't think it would fire properly,  I have the best consistent firings  now and never worry about that cold bottom section anymore.  Denice

Having pieces of broken shelves (I call them nerds) work super well to add a little space on top of posts when loading. Soft bricks are a BAD idea as they will crush and the powder will get all over.

3 hours ago, Denice said:

As I am getting older my big Skutt was getting harder for me to unload and load so I decided to put in a false floor.   I filled the bottom with bricks from a kiln that I had taken apart,  I left my Skutt ventilation holes uncovered and then put a kiln shelf on top of them.    I haven't had any problems with dust in my glazes and it has been a couple of years since I did this.    I wouldn't put my glazed work right next to the cut off bricks.   I called Skutt when I did this and they didn't think it would fire properly,  I have the best consistent firings  now and never worry about that cold bottom section anymore.  Denice

I think this is a different situation that what tomhumf is describing. I believe he's talking about using soft brick as a shelf post. They do not have the strength to work for that application. I know people who have tried, and the bricks crumble.

I'd shy away form soft brick too, but that's already been said. I use pieces of sliced kiln shelf I've had around.

In thcase of just making a shelf not teeter and ock from slight unveness I just use a wad of clay to stabilize it. Good to let it dry a day before firing.