conversion of phase 3 to phase 1kiln

Hi! I could buy an awesome Evenheat kiln (with sitter) but it is phase 3 and at home I have phase 1

do you know if I could do something to it to adapt?

Thanks!

There is an converter motor you can run for 3 phase conversions to run smaller stationary power tools like band saws and the like-the motor runs into a converter box is on the whole time to boost the single phase to 3 phase-I do not think this will run a kiln and is expensive to run during a whole fire-Check to see if you have 3 phase on your power pole( call utility) and if so run a new service for that-All this costs $$ .The cost to run 3 phase stuff is less (3 legs at 120V) but you have to have it to use it. I'd move on if do not have it.

Mark

Yes Joe, I read it.

Depending on the kiln you need to contact the manufacturer. Tell them what service you do have...208 or 240

You will need a new control panel if it is a computerized kiln. You need to replace the wiring. Also check to see if the conversion will lower the temperature capabilities. Something that was not mentioned to me. I had a 3 phase ^10 that became a ^5 after the conversion. So this may be significant to you.

Marcia

Contact the manufacturer. It will depend on the model. If it is possible, it shouldn't be that difficult, just replacing a bunch of wires, and possibly a terminal strip or two. You shouldn't need a new computer control panel, because the computer runs on a separate low voltage supply and isn't connected to the main power feed. You may be able to use the same elements as long as the supply voltage is the same, and the elements are wired up the same for both single and 3 phase (parallel or series). They usually are wired the same, but there are always exceptions.

Neil Estrick

Kiln repair tech

L&L Distrubutor

I bought my kiln as 3 phase (was so happy, just didn't pay attention!:lol:) and was about to sell it .

My friend's husband rewired it for me, took him about 2 hours. Did not have to replace any elements or anything. I don't fire to cone 10, but this Scutt 1027 is doing good for ^5 and ^6.

Never thought it's possible!

Archived