What type of plastic should I buy to make my own batts?

BRush

Hey folks!

I'm looking to possibly have a large order of 12-inch batts manufactured with a company that has a laser cutter.  I was wondering if any of you had ever attempted building your own batts, and what material did you choose?  Our studio favors heavy-duty plastic over the pressed wood batts, and they will have HEAVY use for the duration of their life.

Thanks for any advice or insight!

I have half a dozen amaco plastibats which are about a quarter inch thick.  I wouldn't buy them again for a few reasons.  First, they warp pretty easily, it's pretty frustrating because the reason I initially shied away from Masonite was because of the reputation for warping, and I had a plastibat warp after maybe 10ish uses.  At least with a Masonite bat I can get the bottom of the sucker wet and it'll warp down onto the wheel head in a minute or two.

The second issue was that even though it is textured, it still doesn't grip clay like you'd hope for, I've had pieces come off halfway through throwing which is a huge bummer.  The texture also will chew your hands up when centering, hurts yo.

Other than that, they're a joy.  Feels like cutting board plastic so HDPE?  I went back to hardboard (Masonite style) because the plastic was just too problematic.  Good luck in your ventures, hopefully my gripes can give you some areas to Target in your design.

HDPE. Check the prices. I once looked into having about a hundred bats cut by a local plastics company, and they couldn't do it any cheaper than just buying bats from Northstar, etc. The only way they got close in  price was if I were to drill the holes and sand the edges myself.

The Ingleton fella (that's posted dozens of u tube vids) uses high pressure laminate sheeting; I want to try that, however, I'll wait on a free scrap before buying a full sheet.

So far, I've made bats made from

3/16, 3/8, and 1/2 powder board (from scraps I had laying about) soaked with linseed oil, else finished with oil stain and varnish;

potter's plaster poured into small and medium cake tins, large pie plates.

My used wheel came with two plastic bats, and I bought one speedball bat.

They all work and have their uses... I store my clay pad for plaster bats on a plastic bat, and trim on the thin powder board bat.

Heavy common use likely steers you away from powder board and plaster...

Thank you everyone for the advice!  Seems like HDPE is probably the material for which I will get a quote.  I posted this same question to a different forum as well, and I was so pleased with the diverse answers!  It seems like HDPE is the general favorite material that would "fit the bill."

Much appreciated.

Archived